Chapala.com Webboard

Gaucheria Has Reopened

ChapalaDan

We were headed to iShop from Chapala on our way home to Ajijic  and we saw the front door open. I dropped my wife off as I went to find a place to park. The restaurant is open and it is the same cook. I am not sure if Sandra the waitress has returned. It's the same excellent  menu. We are going tomorrow. 

My taste buds are weeping. No Chocolate Raspberry Pie.

Went to Gaucheria this week.  New owners.  New menu; some of the same items, but other popular items missing, such as empanadas.  Three sandwich choices.  It still has the ground beef "steak".  Still has 2 large salads.  The garlic bread starter they used to serve with the chips isn't up to the old standard. Just "okay". I had the hamburger, and ordered it "three quarters"  It arrived very rare in the center.  Positives:  the meat is high quality.  The chicken sandwich was good. The service was attentive and speedy.

If I had never been to the old Gaucheria, I would have been happy with this new one. 

I agree with Gringal, although the former Guachería had stopped serving those fabulous empanadas a long time before they closed. The previous garlic bread was the same great sesame seed-topped bread they used for their sandwiches, so I wondered what bread is used for the sandwiches now. I ordered the ensalada mixta and asked for chicken to be added. It was good, but not like it was before. Sigh.

• 4 weeks later...

We went today and were very disappointed.  Probably will not return at least for a while.  We ordered the ensalada mixta for 99 pesos and shared it.  There was very little there for 99 pesos.  We also both ordered the fillet medium well.  The fillet was cooked to order but the meat was not the same as before.  This fillet was chewy and had something running through it that was not appetizing.  The ice tea came in a small glass for 30 pesos and we were charged another 30 pesos for a refill.  As I said the glass was small. filled only 3/4 full and came with one large ice cube that took up a good portion of the glass.  The service was very attentive, however, when asked if I could substitute vegetables for the salad that came with the meal since we had ordered the larger salad was told no substitutes were allowed which is their prerogative.   

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I walked by yesterday and saw the menu out front. They certainly have raised their prices. I can't see paying 119p for a Philly cheese.

If you want a big sandwich for a reasonable price, go to Gosha's.  The half sandwich is huge and costs 65 pesos, complete with potato salad.

Archived