Chapala.com Webboard

Huawei HG658D Telmex Modem

Simon

The Internet here sucks. Could it be the Modem? We have an Huawei HG658D Telmex Modem. What I find mind boggling is the ethernet is no faster than the wifi. What has happened quite a few times is the Internet seems to go down and when I unplug the ethernet cable from my laptop the wifi kicks in a works. Never have I seen the ethernet fail anywhere else ever unless the internet goes down completely. Could it be a faulty modem? I saw this on one of the pages here "TelMex has reset "the parameters" on my line (up the signal/noise ratio), and I am now getting 11 Mbits DL on the HG658D"

Should I be calling them to attempt this or should I also be asking for another modem? Talking to them seems to be a waste of time. Talked to them earlier in our visit and they promised  response with 48 to 72 hours. Guess their response was to ignore me.

How fast do you expect, Simon?  I pay $389 pesos per month and get what I am paying for, 10 megabits down. Now I could pay more for higher speeds, but here in Ajijic, they can not provide higher speeds even though I have the capability to receive more. Shown below is what I am getting at the moment and is about what I get 24/7.

6850220688.png

There are some places in Chapala where feeds twice mine are available, but not in most areas here lakeside. Many only get 3 to 5 Mb/s

Patience and persistence are necessary when dealing with Telmex. If you are not getting what others near you are, calling DF over and over again making report after report is about the only solution. I have a house in Guayabitos that 3 years ago topped out at 1.5mb down while a neighbor was getting 5 or more. It took almost a year of phone calls to get relief. I actually got to know one of the English speaking call center guys well enough that he recognized my name.

The long term solution to the woes of Telmex and Telecable is a company like Ilox promising really high speed Internet. While the offering posted on this board carries a fair amount of monetary risk, success can totally change the dynamics of Internet along the lake, finally forcing non-incentivized companies to compete. There's no reason to do that now as both ISPs fight for last place.

" Could it be a faulty modem? "

Based on your scenario, it could  be several things.... not saying it will be but it could be:

+ faulty modem/router

+ faulty ethernet cable

+ faulty ethernet port on either the modem or your computer

+ improper settings on you computer w/regard to your ethernet connection

Next time it happens, disconnect your ethernet cable and see if wifi works OK. I so, then immediately re--plug your ethernet cable back in and see it that connect has begun to work again. If not, change to another ethernet cable. If that doesn't help, change ethernet ports on your modem/router if it has multiple ports.

If none of this solves the problem, count yourself as one of many who have 'cranky' internet connections from Telmex DSL.

39 minutes ago, Simon said:

I would be satisfied with 5. Here we get anywhere from 0.15 to 2.5. pathetic.  The owner here pays for 10.

Read the fine print............."up to 10".

Simon I have the same problem, telmex came several times, I did many reports to Mexico  and I was told is that it is a problem wit the location and that people living around where I live cannot get faster speed. I live one blaock from the lake , one block east of Rio Zula in Ajjis. WHere do you live..

I was paying for more but I was told that in Ajijic it is irrelevant so I took the cheap plan and there is no differnce in spped.. it is lousy. I subbscribed to Telecavle and get a little better speed, up to 5 except at night when both are lousy. They came and changed my modem as well.. Good luck..

Archived