Chapala.com Webboard

Refinishing floor tiles

Carrol

Does anyone know where to go, or who to call if you need floor tiles re-finished?  I actually need old tiles striped of old wax, re=sealed with a sealant, and polished....much like they do with terraza floors in Florida.  I am definitely not talking about just having them waxed and polished.  Thanks.

• 4 months later...

Terrazzo, travertino, marble, and concrete floor tiles can be refinished. Glazed floor tiles cannot, especially the rustico ones with an uneven surface. The stone is patched with a special cement, tinted to the correct color, then it is ground with a machine with progressively finer grits (diamond pads these days). It is a professional job requiring specialized equipment. Based on the neglected travertino floors I have seen around here, I doubt if there is anyone offering this service locally. It should have a glass like finish, which as you know, can be very slippery when wet. If you drop an ice cube or spill some water in our house you have to pick it up quickly or someone can end up dead!

1 hour ago, cstone said:

Yikes ! I don't want them to be as slick as glass, just clean and shiny. The floors are 44 years old and that typical orangey color, about 9x9" square.

Sounds like you have Saltillo tiles, as do I. 

Juan Jose Dieguez & Hijos did an excellent job at a more than reasonable price for exactly what you are seeking.

376-766-0089

cel. 331-1135-902

The refinished floor in the photos looks like it had Selacril used as the sealer. Can't tell for sure, but never let anyone use that on your floors- horrible product, will yellow and peel off in sheets anywhere the sun beats on it. I can't tell you how many people I know who've had that used on their floors or countertops and had to get it all stripped off and redone. Personally, I think a semi-gloss finish looks way better on Saltillo tiles than super shiny.

Archived