Chapala.com Webboard

Nasty email on Prodigy

cedros

On 04/12/2017 at 10:50 PM, Travis said:

And that one, irregardless, has always bothered me as well. Ever since that word was beaten out of me as a teenager, I've always choked on it.  Regardless, "living languages" do change and evolve, otherwise they die. "Phishing" is a great example of a newish word, etc., brought on by technology and change that move faster than all the dictionaries in the world.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

Is irregardless a word?

Irregardless was popularized in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its increasingly widespread spoken use called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

Supposedly. But never misunderestimate the public's will. Like the pundints say... or even the new Precedent... for all intensive purposes... . just sit back, enjoy your expresso, and try not to conflate the issue.

Like Travis, the word 'irregardless' has bothered me as well... and for the same reason:  it was beaten out of me as a teenager by my high school English teachers, including my aunt. Had I been Catholic I suspect that the Sisters would have 'paddled my hands' had I misspoken that word!

18 minutes ago, RickS said:

Like Travis, the word 'irregardless' has bothered me as well... and for the same reason:  it was beaten out of me as a teenager by my high school English teachers, including my aunt. Had I been Catholic I suspect that the Sisters would have 'paddled my hands' had I misspoken that word!

Sister Mary Rulermaster would have used her thick wooden one for the purpose.  Irregardless.:rolleyes:

4 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Supposedly. But never misunderestimate the public's will. Like the pundints say, for all intensive purposes... or even the new Precedent... just sit back, enjoy your expresso, and try not to conflate the issue.

Excellent Mike! 

This thread is in danger of becoming discombobulated, I fear.

discombobulate |ˌdiskəmˈbäbyəˌlāt|
verb [ with obj. ] humorous, chiefly N. Amer.
disconcert or confuse (someone): this attitude totally discombobulated Bruce | (as adj. discombobulated) : he is looking a little pained and discombobulated.
DERIVATIVES
discombobulation noun

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2017 at 10:50 PM, Travis said:

And that one, irregardless, has always bothered me as well. Ever since that word was beaten out of me as a teenager, I've always choked on it.  Regardless, "living languages" do change and evolve, otherwise they die. "Phishing" is a great example of a newish word, etc., brought on by technology and change that move faster than all the dictionaries in the world.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

Is irregardless a word?

Irregardless was popularized in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its increasingly widespread spoken use called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

I'm a grammar Nazi too. My pet peeve list is a long as a dissertation.  "Like I said" is my gold star peeve.  "People that" ... is another.  "Where you at?"  Here's something you might not know: there is a "law" of grammar that trumps all grammar rules.  That is, if it's intelligible to to all who say/use it, it's correct.  Here's another you might not know .. Writing numbers into sentences, it's spelled out from one to nine and numerical from 10 upward.   Here's another, black people, white people.  Black and white are a reference to race, races are upper case, like Negroid, Asiatic, etc.  The American Media never got the memo.   Grammar Nazism is fun as long as you realize mastering your native tongue is something we should do, and never a tool to project your superiority once you're there.  Everyone is good at something, like playing checkers or shooting pool, lying, baking cookies, raising children.  The World is better off with good parents than grammarians.  

The best way to avoid an in-your-face overly friendly crowd at a cocktail party is to announce yourself as a grammarian or psychologist.

Archived