Chapala.com Webboard

Nasty email on Prodigy

cedros

Dear  xxxxxx   ,

Before On  6th   December  2017  Your xxxxxx@prodigy.net.mx  Mailbox will be Shutdown and Terminated completely,due to your Failure to Update and Verification your Mailbox, after voileting our mail terms and conditions for sending spam mails from your  xxxxx@prodigy.net.mx  account

We strongly advise that If you like to continue using your xxxxxx@prodigy.net.mx  Mailbox,  for the last time, Update & Verify your account now. using the link below.

Click Here To Resolve xxxxx@prodigy.net.mx Account!  

NB; After this mail, and your account still have not been verified, it will be closed in the next 48hours
Best Regards
prodigy.net.mx Admin

I have to assume it is spam. Me send spam!!??

And there is a big difference if in fact it is phishing. I know that before I responded to it with the info they are trying to get you to provide, I would check with prodigy. Where they would most likely tell you that the message was not from them.

23 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Still not in my dictionary. I use Gage or Oxford.. I know what it means-it just isn't a word I might not need to know and wouldn't use probably.  

6 minutes ago, cedros said:

Still not in my dictionary. I use Gage. I know what it mean-it just isn't a word I might not need to know and wouldn't use probably.  

Want a definition? Do what the email asks of you.

giphy.gif

16 hours ago, cedros said:

Still not in my dictionary. I use Gage or Oxford.. I know what it mean-it just isn't a word I might not need to know and wouldn't use probably.  

If you use the Internet, and we know you do, you need to know and understand phishing.

5 hours ago, bournemouth said:

If you use the Internet, and we know you do, you need to know and understand phishing.

Sometimes you have to wonder if it is worth using.

7 hours ago, El Saltos said:

Prodigy is probably the worst email address to use here!

I agree. I hate it but some people insist on using it. I mainly use G Mail.

I got a fantastic email today from

From The Desk of: Dr Charles Holliday Jr..
Bank of America.
Branch Offices New York
1680 Broadway, New York.
NY 10019, USA.
Vice Chairman on Investment Banking
Director, Credit Control Dept

Here is the first paragraph

We are hereby officially notify you concerning your fund telegraphic Transfer through our bank, Bank of America, New York, to your bank account, which has been officially approved by the management of World Bank Swiss (WBS) to credit the sum of US$18.5 Million into your bank account.

The  remainder of this email attempted to make me believe this email was legitimate .

Here is the final paragraph:

These are the information we needed to be reconfirmed by you.

1.Your Full Bank Account Details
2.Your Direct Cell or office phone to reach you
3.Your address of locations
4.Your full name

The crooks who sent this email to me were phishing for information so that they could enter my bank account and do as they wished with my money

Note that their English, although not bad, was not perfect. And although they sent this email to my email address, not once did they use my name anywhere in this email.

Cedros, just for interest, what is the date of publication of your paper Dictionary? You do realize that "new" words are added to the English language yearly don't you?

It's like you're saying that an old rotary dial phone can't take photos. Therefore, no phone can take photos.

I have been a student of the English language since I was a kid. It disheartened me to learn that certain words... words that were verboten in my youth... had made it into the dictionary. Irregardless, I have come to accept that in this tech age, flurries of newly-created nouns, adverbs and adjectives are being readily accepted by lexicographers of the finest levels of educations. Phishing can be considered ancient now.

I am still uncomfortable with "phrases" getting in there, like craft beer and energy drink. These are multiple words, no? "Craft" and "beer" can be found individually in a dictionary, so why should they be added as single-entry words? Should we have a word like "white picket fence"? Or can we not figure it out for ourselves...?

4 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I have been a student of the English language since I was a kid. It disheartened me to learn that certain words... words that were verboten in my youth... had made it into the dictionary. Irregardless.....

And that one, irregardless, has always bothered me as well. Ever since that word was beaten out of me as a teenager, I've always choked on it.  Regardless, "living languages" do change and evolve, otherwise they die. "Phishing" is a great example of a newish word, etc., brought on by technology and change that move faster than all the dictionaries in the world.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

Is irregardless a word?

Irregardless was popularized in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its increasingly widespread spoken use called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

Archived