Chapala.com Webboard

Procedure for Resident PERMANENTE leaving and re-entering Mexico by Mexican plated auto

JKL

Article in Dec 2 - 8, 2017 Guad Reporter concerning leaving and re-entering Mexico with a Resident Temporal or Resident Permanente indicates paper work that must be completed when departing Mexico and again when re-entering.  Does this apply ONLY to travel by AIRPLANE?  My understanding is that it is not required to complete a Forma Migratoria Multiple (FMM) when leaving or re-entering with a Mexican plated car if you are Resident Permanente and traveling by auto - not airplane.  Is this correct?  Spencer - can you address this.

Remember the warning about doing proper paperwork given to us by the government a while ago. Plane, train,boat, car or walking  you need to fill out the paperwork and when you return give them the stub.  Remember they have computers now and all this crud is online.  What people got away with in the past might not work now and just because someone got away with it does not mean you will.  Mexico asked nicely if I remember correctly for us to clean our act up. Nobody enjoys filling out FMM forms as it is very confusing on how we should do it I admit that. My question for you is how are you going to get US coverage for insurance and will they give you proof of insurance?

24 minutes ago, lcscats said:

My question for you is how are you going to get US coverage for insurance and will they give you proof of insurance?

I bought mine online and I got that proof. I bought from:  https://www.segurosusa.com/

We crossed at Columbia back in April and went to fill out the forms the fellow handed them to us and saw that we had Resident Temporary cards and took back the forms. He then informed us that we don't fill out the forms anymore and then stamped our passports.  Same thing when we came back in Oct. no forms just a stamp in the passport.

We have been in and out a few times over the last few years and have not used FMMs nor have we had any stamps in our passports; neither by foot or by car. In none of these cases did we travel deep into Mexico, so never encountered an interior checkpoint.

My only experience is when flying in and out. So my answer may not totally answer your question.

The FMM is the form I am given at the Airport when leaving Mexico  that I need to partially fill out at the airport with a stamping from immigration.

I give the part I have filled out when I leave the country by air and then fill out the remainder and turn it in when I re-enter the country by air.

Flying and having to fill out an FMM seems to be more of an airline requirement, whether or not you have a residency visa, and the airline charges you for the FMM anyway.  Driving or walking in and out with a residence visa seems to be OK with just your visa card and no FMM requirement.  To discuss the finer points with a border agent will be fruitless. They seem unconcerned with FMMs for expats with either RT or RP visas.  However, if you plan to apply for naturalization, you will want to insist on an FMM and a passport stamp, and you will want to retain them all for proof of your cross-border trips. SRE will want to know the details. 

2 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

However, if you plan to apply for naturalization, you will want to insist on an FMM and a passport stamp, and you will want to retain them all for proof of your cross-border trips. SRE will want to know the details. 

No passport in/out stamp, no details needed. Another reason I don't bother when I go NOB.

Archived