Chapala.com Webboard

Hand-painted wood cane or walking stick?

Travis

A very good friend was in a serious accident and will soon need a cane/walking stick. He is far too young and stylish to use a generic, ugly cane from a medical supply company (like the one I'm using now! :lol:). He asked me today if I knew where to get one one of the cool hand-painted ones, but I don't know. I see them around town, so I know they're available...

Anybody know where they are sold in either Chapala or Ajijic area? Thanks!

Watch the streets between SuperLake and the lights at Colon  for Cris the "basket guy". He appears fairly often, especially on tianguis day. If he doesn't have what you want, he will get it quickly. I needed a "flat top" cane, not the kind with the hooked top (they break, because they are in two parts), and a week later, voila. He does have a phone.

Thanks! Someone else contacted me about him and of course I know who he is. I seem to see him every day....and now that I need to see him....I'll still probably see him tomorrow. He's that consistent! (That man must walk 8 miles a day, every day.)

If anyone else knows where these kind of canes are sold that is in a store that isn't a moving target, that would be super helpful too. My friend can't leave his bed for another week, so this is for when he's ready. Thanks.

I too considered the decorative wooden walking canes but they were too short. Although they are not splashy, Lakeside Medical has some very sturdy adjustable canes in different colors. Perhaps then you could get one of the excellent artists to personalize it for your friend with local wildlife or what ever.

I believe the cane would need to be about hip height - too low will cause back problems down the line.  You should also consider whether a single foot/point cane or a multi-foot (4 points of contact) is required.  They may need a walker to start before graduating to a cane, depending on their injury/infirmity. Their stability may change over time as their body adjusts and strengthens.

You can fall suddenly when the curved portion of those painted canes break; and they do!  They are a separate piece, drilled and simply glued to the straight shaft. Mine did not last long.

They can be found in the large tourist-trap shops in Tlaquepaque, or from the “basket guy“ in Ajijic, or on the Chapala malecon.  They are made in Michoacan, I think.

I am in the states now and have to walk with a cane for balance and stability. If you want to look pretty with a heavy decorative wooden canes, then you will look cool. But if it's for stability and functionality I recommend a lightweight, aluminum adjustable rubber tip trekking pole. They are lighter and more functional than what I have found as medical canes  or walkers.
Here in the states, Walmart (perhaps Amazon) and others sell them. They are cheap (two to a package) very sturdy and adjustable to height. You will need to buy a larger size rubber tip. For me, this is the only answer. Perhaps a large sporting good store in Guadalajara may carry them or can order. One fall from those woodensticks can end you looking cool. Good luck.

6 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

You can fall suddenly when the curved portion of those painted canes break; and they do!  They are a separate piece, drilled and simply glued to the straight shaft. Mine did not last long.

They can be found in the large tourist-trap shops in Tlaquepaque, or from the “basket guy“ in Ajijic, or on the Chapala malecon.  They are made in Michoacan, I think.

As I pointed out, and mentioned that he sells canes with horizontal caps, that don't easily break apart with pressure.

5 hours ago, eekwriter said:

I am in the states now and have to walk with a cane for balance and stability. If you want to look pretty with a heavy decorative wooden canes, then you will look cool. But if it's for stability and functionality I recommend a lightweight, aluminum adjustable rubber tip trekking pole. They are lighter and more functional than what I have found as medical canes  or walkers.
Here in the states, Walmart (perhaps Amazon) and others sell them. They are cheap (two to a package) very sturdy and adjustable to height. You will need to buy a larger size rubber tip. For me, this is the only answer. Perhaps a large sporting good store in Guadalajara may carry them or can order. One fall from those woodensticks can end you looking cool. Good luck.

CostCo has them right now.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

Crisencio (?sp? - "Cris"), the man who walks all day everywhere and sells baskets, magically appeared at my office this morning. Just ten minutes earlier I had gone to Diane Pearl's shop and the guys there pointed him to where I work. Word gets out! Thanks to them! Yay!

Bought a beauty this morning and delivered it to friend at 2:30pm this afternoon. (And, for the record - before I read your other comments later today - even Crisenscio told me how it should be held/used to prevent braking it. And how to fix it.)

So....another Mexican Milagrito. Sometimes living here, in this small town, is really nice. People help people. And you all helped me. Thanks!

P.S. Adjustable metal canes similar to those described above are available at Lidia's medical supply store in Ajijic on the carretera across from Sky Fitness. Mine was $380 MXN a month ago. My generic, style-deficient stick is named "Rosy" on account of her pretty paint job, and her temperamental personality. :lol:

Archived