Chapala.com Webboard

Medical concerns about moving to Ajijic

DavidRC

18 minutes ago, zerbit said:

There are always solutions to technical issues if we seek them out. I won't go into fraud, as that is created by for profit issues. 

Yes, of course. Medicare could announce that coverage would be provided worldwide. Yea! OK, any provider worldwide has to initiate the procedures necessary to become Medicare accredited, we're not talking about dropping a postcard in the mail here. All claims submitted to Medicare must be done in the one and only format they accept, correct ICDA codes, correct diagnosis that confirms the necessity of that treatment, cost must be reasonable and customary FOR THAT PARTICULAR AREA, etc., etc. Now how many providers are going to go to that kind of trouble and expense? And if they do won't their fees probably will be close to those in lower cost areas of the US? And saying you won't go into fraud issues would be like saying you leave your house and car unlocked because the rumors of dishonest people roaming around is grossly exaggerated  And finally Gringal is correct that only providing coverage in the US is cheaper for the whole system. If we don't go back their cost is zero. Why not require every private insurance policy to be good everywhere in the world? Most of us can figure out why not without a detailed explanation.. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup. I can buy and sell stock from my phone in markets all around the world. Micro traders can make thousands of transactions a day with thousands of companies all around the world and can track their profit and loss to the US penny calculated from numerous currencies. All at real time. But hey, we can't do this with medical billing. 

But the OP has to basically roll this dice anywhere when it comes to healthcare. It's all relative to what one considers, good, cost effective and satisfies their end need / want. Having made the choice to live abroad, I accept the vast differences in healthcare offered here and in the US. I guess it all boils down to what you value as quality of life. And that is a to each his / her own decision. 

10 minutes ago, zerbit said:

Yup. I can buy and sell stock from my phone in markets all around the world. Micro traders can make thousands of transactions a day with thousands of companies all around the world and can track their profit and loss to the US penny calculated from numerous currencies. All at real time. But hey, we can't do this with medical billing

I think you hit it on the head! If the government wasn't involved in healthcare do I think private markets would be all over this problem? Yup, I sure do! How many of the trades you make involve dealing with a government entity? I suspect ZERO.

30 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

I think you hit it on the head! If the government wasn't involved in healthcare do I think private markets would be all over this problem? Yup, I sure do! How many of the trades you make involve dealing with a government entity? I suspect ZERO.

Yeah but everyone of my trades is monitored by government(s) and taxed accordingly LOL. 

Archived