Chapala.com Webboard

Seeking a hip surgeon

mexilady

I have several friends who have had hip surgeries here and highly recommend Dr. Jorge Gonzalez who sees patients at Clinica Maskaras on Fridays and Saturdays. I have personally seen him for knee surgery and he is now seeing me for several spine issues. Speaks English. 

A good friend of mine had both hips replaced three years apart. Work was done by Dr. Jorge Gonzalez a top notch Orthopedic Surgeon. Maskaras Clinica Fri. and Sat.

376-765-4838

My friend is an avid tennis player and has been playing at a much higher level game than before the surgery. Dr. Gonzalez has helped many others lakeside and he will be the Dr. who will replace my wife's need when needed.

• 3 months later...
On 12/2/2017 at 2:08 PM, stantheman said:

I would not recommend Dr. Gonzalez.

Since you were outvoted 6 to one when this was originally posted, and since I may be needing this procedure quite soon, would like to know why not?  Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

To anyone with direct experience, does Dr. G. use anterior or posterior approach? And did he tell you why he prefers his method of choice?

Natasha, here's another vote for Dr. Gonzales.  He performed  my hip replacement surgery this past Jan. 15th and I'm getting around very well, walking comfortably, no walker, no cane, no pain for the past month or so.  The whole thing has been pretty much a piece of cake.  My guess is that he used the posterior approach  on me, since the scar is on the posterior side of the joint.  I didn't ask why, but he and I are both happy with the result.  I know several people Lakeside who have had theirs done by Gonzales and none of them have anything but praise for his work.  And, as mentioned above, he's a very nice guy and speaks excellent English, if that is important to you.

I used Dr. Ruben Papachoris Munguia in GDL in December to do my hip replacement.  I highly recommend him and his team.  His office is across from del Carmen but he can do the surgery in a variety of Hospitals.  Had the walker about a week, a cane a couple of weeks and since then, I've been fully mobile.  I was getting my SCUBA certification 7 weeks post-op!  I have never had any pain and am very happy with the quality of his work.  His number is:  333-813-0700.

Wishing you great luck!

Valerie :)

BIG thanks to all for input.  Have had one appt.,  another coming up, and a third waiting to be booked.  Then I will decide based on a variety of factors.

Fortunately not limited to English (doctor or hospital) so allows for a little broader scope.

Natasha, wise decision.  I interviewed 5 as well and then made my choice.

Good luck!

Valerie :)

Dr alejandro moya see in Hospital san javier in guadalajara , they are the best in city. 

contact number:

• 3 weeks later...

Update.  Used surgeon recommended by Hector and Antonio Ladron de Guevara (2 or more complicated surgeries on Antonio) and VERY pleased with outcome. Posterolateral approach which means the least amount of "meat" to cut into and was up within a day in hospital. Now at home and doing very well.

Anyone interested Dr. Jose  Miguel Huerta.  Office in Del Carmen but asked for and he agreed to use Hospital Santisima Trinidad (MUCH cheaper but excellent place) which helped offset cost of ceramic-titanium prosthesis needed instead of standard one, due to metal sensitivities.  Only drawback this hospital is 99% Spanish but this is not problem for me.

Anyone interested will provide more info, and thanks to all for your comments.

• 10 months later...
On 12/2/2017 at 11:57 AM, Rickardo007 said:

My 89 year old father just came down from Canada and had his done by Dr. Mendoza in Puerta de Hierro. He had an excellent and efficient team and my dad is returning home this Sunday with a new hip. If you want more information you can PM me.

Could you tell me if this Dr Hector Mendoza orthopedic surgeon who specializes in hip and knee surgery and  practices out of Guadaljara

Thank you Joanne

Cost last April:  Surgeon, cardiologist, anesthetist with all related services:  $40,000 pesos.  Hospital with all related services, meds, use of OR etc (Tues nite to Sat noon)  $41,000 pesos.  Prosthesis (had to have ceramic/titanium due to metal allergies so MUCH more expensive than "normal")  $90,000 pesos

NOTE:  These were prices for CASH and no factura required.  No idea if/ how would affect other forms of payment /factura required

Just had appt. with Dr. Huerta again (Feb 2019) ago because thought I needed other hip done.  NOT!  Diagnosed trochanteric bursitis (after tests) and am now on physio regimen with Dra. Justina (near Dental Express) and should solve with small effort. 😀   (He could easily have said "sure you need a hip" so pleased with his honesty in this situation)

GREAT news, Natasha!  So happy to hear your update and that you're doing well.

Congratulations!

Valerie  :)

Archived