Chapala.com Webboard

Hot tub with solar panels?

DeborahM

I have a solar system that makes more than enough hot water for a long shower, but should I want to fill my hot tub I need a little help so the hot water runs through an instant on gas hot water system, so as the hot water coming into the hot tub, becomes cooler the instant on, gas units come on heating any water entering the system that isn't hot enough.

1 hour ago, DeborahM said:

Seeking advice from folks in the know! Does anybody have a hot tub connected to solar panels? If so, I would appreciate chatting with you!

Check this link and suggest you PM Mexico Moose or myself.

When you say solar, do you mean to heat the water or to provide electricity?  A hot tub takes a lot of power to bring up to those temps.  I've never seen one down here that didn't have some kind of backup power (propane or electrical)

I have a 'pure passive solar' designed house around Napa, and the question and distinction jrm# makes is fundamental.  My solar 'water' heating system is based on a black metal vessel housed in an insulated enclosure built into the roof elevation which is itself optimally oriented to the southern course of the winter sun which shines through the double insulated glass of the southern face of the enclosure. Works swell, though you'd have to verify every technical spec for Lakeside, and I'd guess such a system really could be based on an enclosed black tinaco or two. However, if this were feasible Lakeside, you'd think a lot of local folks would be doing it, which perhaps they are...

Always a good idea to check one's work before inflicting it on innocent bystanders - just found this: http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-793728 

If you want to use air jets in the hot tub, they lose a tremendous amount of heat per minute, and solar would not be able to keep up. People get around this by having a separate gas or electric heater to maintain temperature when using the hot tub,  or a separate insulated high temperature hot water tank to provide supplement heat. I talked with Ron Magen at STI about a year ago, and did not go ahead at that time. It sounds as if they have some new options, and I should talk with him again. 

A bit off the subject, but......

When I lived in GA, I lived in a rural area.  One of my neighbors put in a hot tub.  It was one of those partially in the ground deals.  He bought the tub and hired some people to dig the hole and get it in place.  Then he called me to help him wire it.  I don't remember exactly how much power it took but a lot.

We got it wired up and he filled it up.  Ran the well dry twice doing it.  He tried it out and said it was great....

In GA, it can get to 100+ in summer and below freezing a lot in the winter.  Plus, it rains a lot in GA and we have hardwoods that drop leaves all year.  He was always having to remove water and leaves, so he called me and wanted to build a gazebo to protect it.  So, we, did, out of redwood, benches all around, wood shake roof, etc.  Looked great.  I have no idea what that cost.

When winter hit and he got the power bill, he about had a heart attack, but you can't just cut them off or they will freeze.  In summer, it is not too bad.  Doesn't take much power when it's 100 degrees outside.  

The next fall, I looked out and he was filling it in with topsoil and planting shade tolerant plants in it.

When I kidded him about it, he said that he had figured out that he and his wife could go to the Holiday Inn twice a month, enjoy their hot tub, sauna, pool and get a free breakfast and come out cheaper.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived