Chapala.com Webboard

Cannon/fireworks in Ajijic.

I know noise is a contentious topic here and I’m not complaining or wanting to open others to gripping either. 

What I am asking is if anyone knows the cultural origins or historical significance for these blasts. I read somewhere that it was call to Mass or observance of community events like a wedding or funeral but that doesn’t explain the timing of blasts at times of the day and night this week. 

It would be nice to understand and the few Mexican friends I have ask don’t seem to have an answer and I’m not searching right on google because all I keep getting are articles on the humming noise in New Mexico.

Teach me something ?

2 hours ago, TheBestSideOfTheWall said:

Makes sense. And it must work. I haven’t seen an evil spirit since I got here. A few cranky old men but no evil spirits. 

I had a cat that claimed I needed him to keep the elephants out of the garden.  He got himself run over and the elephants didn't return.

We have probably scared all the evil spirits away for the next few centuries.

Yes, thank you Construction Workers for the longest-lasting cohete bombardment of all San Andres (so far). I kept expecting to see French cavalry and artillery units in the street. :)

Good thing I was already awake... -_-

Like many traditions, they lose their usefulness and original intent. What may have started as a way of calling angels, scaring evil spirits and inviting distant friends to fiestas turned into who has more cash for fireworks and wants to show off. Sadly in this situation it is litetally money going up in smoke. 

Used to be rattles and drums to alert the gods that they were being celebrated. Then it was shooting off guns into the air. Then Mexicans in USA sending back money for the fiestas from their Asuntos Ajijic,Asuntos Jalisco, etc associations that was used to buy cohetes when gun fire was discouraged.....actually this year is much quieter than previous years, haven't had to put in my earplugs yet (3 blocks from plaza). We'll all be glad when its over.

The first cannons in Mexico were brought here by the Spanish conquerors. The conquerors soon learned that they need not waste cannon balls since just the sound of cannon fire was enough to scare the crap out of the native people. Once Mexico was properly conquered, the Catholic church kept the practice of blank cannon fire alive in order to put the fear of god into everyone within earshot.

Archived