Chapala.com Webboard

Love & Fishes

windstar

Lunch there today.  Fish & Shrimp taco  (22p & 25p) Some of the best we have had.  Served on hand made tortillas with coleslaw & slice of avacado.  Salsas are homemade & not crazy hot.  Menu well written - service attentive with a smile.  House wine @ 40 p.(Chauvenet)  beer 20p.  Friday beer 2 for1, 

Other items on the menu were large helpings - Club sand with fries 60p.  Various chicken, fish & shrimp dishes - brochettes - hamburger with fries 60p -  looked wonderful.

Located where "Just Chillin" ("Toms") was on Constitution - two blocks east of Colon.

From their facebook page:

We want to thank Just Chillin for everything, and we want to wish them the best of lucks for their upcoming projects. Thank you Just Chillin for the time we shared!!

At the same time we want to let our customers know that we will stay at the same Constitucion #32 from tuesday through sunday! 12:00 pm to 10:00.
Thank you!!

• 3 months later...

Ate there Saturday. Even though Ajijic was absolutely crowded and parking was nearly impossible, there was no one in the place.

I was pleasantly surprised. The fish and chips was delicious. Waiter said it was "basa", whatever that means these days, but it was a firm white fish, perfectly cooked, with an excellent crumb coating. Chips were crinkle-cut, but fried superbly, and with a nice dash of spices. A two-brochetta shrimp/veg dish was also delicious, with 8 shrimp properly flavoured and grilled. Limonadas were bar prices: 35p, too steep. But the majority of the dishes were very reasonably priced. 120 for the fish, and 90 for the shrimp. They did not serve rice, and I guess that helps keep the price down, but it really needs it with the shrimp. They served a very weird slaw, mostly carrot, tasted like it was made with glue instead of mayo.

Service was just dandy, although I repeat there was no one else there. Someone was playing hollow-body electric guitar and singing: volume was "reasonable", but we did choose to sit as far away as possible. The place has a huge selection of booze at the bar, so my guess is our food is just fancier bar food. I'll definitely go back. It is lovely in the back gardens.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Waiter said it was "basa", whatever that means these days...

Basa (fish)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basa
Basa fish - Vinh Long Market.jpg
Basa fish in Vinh Long market, Vietnam

Basa (Pangasius bocourti) is a species of catfish in the family Pangasiidae. Basa are native to the Mekong and Chao Phraya basins in Indochina

Archived