Chapala.com Webboard

Automatic transmission

bob k

I had a transmission failure last summer that required a complete overhaul/rebuild.  I searched and searched both around Lakeside and checked out a couple of recommended locations in Guadalajara.  None of them I felt comfortable giving my business to.  The shops I looked at were dirty, filthy and very unprofessional looking.  I ended up driving ("limping") up to Texas to get it rebuilt by a major transmission chain up there (A+ Transmissions).  Comes with a 1 yr. warranty - not likely any shops here would offer such a thing!

Ezzie: In a country with excellent auto mechanics, you felt you had to go to Texas to get your car repaired?   Almost unbelievable. Perhaps someone on here will recommend their favorite place and you won't decide to take that trip again.

I've used a mechanic who works out of his garage, and also used Escalera (the ownership has changed), with satisfactory results for over a decade. My previous vehicle was a pickup with nearly a hundred thousand miles on it and Senor Vargas and son kept it running like a dream.

I had some transmission issues with my Dodge Caravan. I took it to Autocheck and had Felipe check it out. It was a bad sensor and a poor connection at the transmission control computer. 

He speaks good English. If it is something he can't handle he will let you know. 

Have never heard of a mechanic around Lakeside that could tear down and rebuild a transmission successfully.  Finding and fixing a sensor is not that difficult. NOB you can buy a diagnostic tester for $100 bucks which will scan and tell you which sensor is defective.

Tearing down and rebuilding is a whole different ballgame.. In the decade I've been here heard a few stories about taking vehicles in to have tranny work done.. And those vehicles never ran again properly..  

3 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

Have never heard of a mechanic around Lakeside that could tear down and rebuild a transmission successfully.  Finding and fixing a sensor is not that difficult. NOB you can buy a diagnostic tester for $100 bucks which will scan and tell you which sensor is defective.

Tearing down and rebuilding is a whole different ballgame.. In the decade I've been here heard a few stories about taking vehicles in to have tranny work done.. And those vehicles never ran again properly..  

The poster didn't state the make of the car.  Were the dealerships in Guadalajara for that make checked?  The Honda dealership where we had massive post-accident repairs done was very clean and professional.  Nice waiting room, too.

And...Is it worth it to drive to Texas to take advantage of that one year warranty?

20 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

NOB you can buy a diagnostic tester for $100 bucks which will scan and tell you which sensor is defective.

Amazon Mexico has them for less than $40 USD. I got mine for $15 from China. It has saved me a bundle in diagnostic costs.

36 minutes ago, gringal said:

The poster didn't state the make of the car.  Were the dealerships in Guadalajara for that make checked?  The Honda dealership where we had massive post-accident repairs done was very clean and professional.  Nice waiting room, too.

And...Is it worth it to drive to Texas to take advantage of that one year warranty?

What has the make of the vehicle got to do with it...?   HE WASNT ASKING ABOUT A BODY SHOP.. HE WANTS HIS TRANSMISSION FIXED.. 

And as I found out with my Mazda the same models don't allways  have the same parts.. The Mazda dealer in Guad could not get parts for my Mazda because the parts were different on the same model sold in Mexico...

1 hour ago, TelsZ4 said:

What has the make of the vehicle got to do with it...?   HE WASNT ASKING ABOUT A BODY SHOP.. HE WANTS HIS TRANSMISSION FIXED.. 

And as I found out with my Mazda the same models don't allways  have the same parts.. The Mazda dealer in Guad could not get parts for my Mazda because the parts were different on the same model sold in Mexico...

You needn't shout or be snarky.  He said he couldn't find anyplace here or in Guad to do his transmission repairs. He didn't say anything about wanting a body shop, and neither did I. I was referring to the fact that the big dealers in Guadalajara are prepared to do all repairs to the cars they carry.  Read the post.

Archived