Chapala.com Webboard

How much are the monthly health insurance premiums?

Satisfied absolutely.  We have GNP, one of the best with the best hospitals and choice of doctors, even covers accidents in the U.S.

only one deductable per illness.  $220 US. per month, age 59 and 63.  If something happens we just call the insurance agent, he makes all the calls for us even goes to Guadalajara with us to arrange everything.  Have not had major problems yet.  But know first hand the quality.  Had eye lenses replaced in the states.  Saw doctor for 2 minutes before surgery.  Husband had done here in GDL, doctor spent 2 hours with him talking and explaining, gave cell.  Spent considerable time taking prescription for eyes.  Cost one third the cost of mine in the states and he can see MUCH better !!

10 minutes ago, sputnik said:

Satisfied absolutely.  We have GNP, one of the best with the best hospitals and choice of doctors, even covers accidents in the U.S.

only one deductable per illness.  $220 US. per month, age 59 and 63.  If something happens we just call the insurance agent, he makes all the calls for us even goes to Guadalajara with us to arrange everything.  Have not had major problems yet.  But know first hand the quality.  Had eye lenses replaced in the states.  Saw doctor for 2 minutes before surgery.  Husband had done here in GDL, doctor spent 2 hours with him talking and explaining, gave cell.  Spent considerable time taking prescription for eyes.  Cost one third the cost of mine in the states and he can see MUCH better !!

Great, glad to hear it. Can anyone else share their experiences?

2 hours ago, blankletmusic said:

What are you paying for your monthly health insurance premiums? Not trying to be nosy, just curious what they cost at Lakeside. What coverage do you have  and through which company/agency? And lastly, are you generally satisfied with the insurance/ hospitals/doctors, etc?

You could probably get a more accurate answer if your question was "How much does a TV cost at Costco?" For anyone to give you a meaningful answer they would have to divulge age, sex, actual coverage, deductible and any and all medical conditions they have. El Saltos' advice above is the way to go.

There are some local folks who have formed a group: Boomers in Paradise in order to get group rate on Medical coverage. This policy with WEA World Expat Assn. will cover you anywhere except in the USA. Check them out. 

WEA  2016 Annual Premium:          $1940.51 USD                                                                                                                                                              Annual deductible:        $3500.00 USD                                                                                                                                                                                    10% Co-insurance Capped   $1500.00 USD

The WEA coverage is available without joining a group as well here.

As others have said cost can vary tremendously based on age, deductibles, limits, etc. We have coverage through AXA (a licensed insurer in Mexico). Premiums go up each year but due to changes in the exchange rate we have been okay. We are 65 & 71 and our premiums are somewhere around $400 per month - paid annually. I have had WAY over $1 million pesos in medical expenses so I am way ahead of the game.

I have had some serious medical issues but have had great experiences with Mexican medical resources and our AXA policy has been very effective. Be sure that you understand the differences in the way insurance policies in Mexico work compared to what you are used to in other countries. Not at all saying that those differences are a bad thing - but there are differences.

My personal opinion is that I would be cautious about a purchasing group. As mentioned above that group could dissolve and you might be in a situation where you are net eligible for replacement coverage due to age, preexisting conditions, etc. Just my opinion.

I have heard very good things about Bellon. I would also like to recommend our agent - Jesus Tejeda. His office is in Guadalajara but he is at lakeside frequently as he has many long term clients in our area.

jtejeda17@hotmail.com

333-563-1300 (Office)

333-667-0499 (His cell # and probably the best way to reach him)

Archived