Chapala.com Webboard

Dual Nationals/Citizens

AngusMactavish

As a person planning in 18 months to apply for Mexican citizenship, I am curious about DN's being arrested in their non-US country. The US is screaming about their rights, but I thought it didn't work that way. My recollection of the US State Department's site on, "Dual Citizenship", was that the US can not help you in the other country. It is something to wonder about.

Do you have a reference or quote that shows "the US is screaming about their rights" ?  ... to get a flavor for how it fits your good question?

In any case,  when you get dual citizenship,  the US govt. specifically says they will not aid people carrying Mexican passports when they are in Mexico.

I'm guessing that you are asking about dual citizenship  (as dual nationality is a slightly different thing**).   For Dual Citizenship:
Note that if you are a US citizen due to being born in the USA,   when you become a naturalized citizen in Mexico, you now both sign a paper and say an oath that you renounce citizenship to all other countries.   The SRE folks explain that they no longer take your US passport.   They further explain that you must use only your Mexican passport when entering in Mexico,  and they strongly emphasize that when you are in Mexico, you are bound by all Mexican rules, laws, regulations, with no more rights as a US citizen.

The US State Dept and Homeland Security make the same explanations, that you must use your US passport when entering the USA, and that you are bound by US law, rules & regulations when in the USA.

**Dual Nationality:      (splitting one too many hairs?)
If you were born in Mexico, say to US parents,  and the US parents logged you as a US citizen,   then when you apply for Mexican citizenship, you're applying for dual nationality - and you do NOT have to renounce your US citizenship.

Oddly,   The US State Department regulations officially distinguish  between  "Dual Nationality "   and   "Dual Citizenship" , and their web page explains how Dual Nationality is different from Dual Citizenship   .... but US law does not specifically regulate Dual Nationality:

" ... U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one nationality or another. ... "

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/citizenship-and-dual-nationality/dual-nationality.html

In any case,  when you get dual citizenship,  the US govt. specifically says they will not aid people carrying Mexican passports when they are in Mexico.

or ... Is it all about the blustering coming out of Washington DC?

Late on Wednesday, a U.S. State Department official said, ”We have seen media reports of the arrest of U.S. citizens in Venezuela. Venezuela is required under the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations to provide consular notification to the U.S. upon request of a detained U.S. citizen, and to provide consular access.

https://in.reuters.com/article/venezuela-oil-usa/detained-venezuelan-u-s-citgo-executives-to-be-tried-as-traitors-maduro-idINKBN1DN0PL

13 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

As a person planning in 18 months to apply for Mexican citizenship, I am curious about DN's being arrested in their non-US country. The US is screaming about their rights, but I thought it didn't work that way. My recollection of the US State Department's site on, "Dual Citizenship", was that the US can not help you in the other country. It is something to wonder about.

When we received our Mexican citizenship 10 years ago (also remain Canadian) we signed a paper agreeing / acepting that when we are in Mexico, we are treated as Mexicans, subject to Mexican law whenever we are inside Mexican territory, and cannot go running to the Canadian (in our case) Consulate for help. Of course, if we don't plan to commit any crimes, this becomes a non-issue.

FYI we leave Mexico on Mexican passports, arrive anywhere else on Canadian.  Reverse on coming back --- travel on Canadian until get to Mexico and then present Mexican passports.

Archived