Chapala.com Webboard

airport taxi rate

Stymie

went just yesterday.  Taxi in Chapala quoted $350 from Chapala.  Got an uber, $300 but we gave him $400. took us and picked us up in Riberas.  Great guy, speaks enough english.  If you want his name ill pm you.  Family guy worked in computers in GDL 17 years, wanted to get out of the city.  Brought family to Chapala.  Has 2 good cars.  Gets you there fast, put tell him to slow down if you dont like fast.  He even came early when our plane landed sooner.

Yes, a good difference in price.  This one Matias was highly recommended by my good middle class mexican lady friend...I dont know about regulations but she just gave me his number and I called him.  He was here at the house in riberas right on time, got us there in about 35 min. knew ALL the potholes as goes alot.  We paid him when he let us out.  We always tip.  He has a young family and works hard.  Even takes people to PV, Mazatlan, far places.  Has another car and has another driver.  Then when we landed back early we texted him and he came early.  We probably could have just grabbed a taxi at the airport to come back and not waited for him, but we are "capitalists" lol and like to promote new businesses.

Maybe you don’t care but FYI you ONLY  get an UBER driver through the Uber app....and you pay the fare only through the app  .If you’re calling them on the phone & paying directly you are not using UBER. And if you’re paying 450p to go to their airport you’re not paying UBER prices but rather the going rate for a private driver. (In September 450p was what I paid the licensed yellow taxi from airport to SAT centro ) 

Many drivers  these days are calling themselves ‘ Uber drivers ‘ but’ they are simply local private drivers - as opposed to licensed taxi drivers .  I guess leveraging the popularity of the Uber name. There have always been lots of local drivers but many more these days. 

5 hours ago, blankletmusic said:

Big difference in price. Are the Uber taxis regulated like the Guad. airport taxis? Do you pay for them first at the kiosk inside the terminal like the other airport taxis and give the receipt to the driver?

Big difference in price, but 420 pesos that the lady quoted at today's rate is $22.54 USD. Not too bad for a 30 plus mile ride IMO. I was recently quoted $65-70 USD (plus a tip) for a 21 mile ride in the US. 

Don't book an Uber driver without using the app. Uber decides the fares, not the driver. There is also insurance protection in using the app. 

I am a sometimes Uber driver. I took a couple to the airport on Tues and fare was $152 from Ajijic. 

The most convenient is the roof of the parking garage for $119 per 24 hours. Just shy of 6 days was only $714. You take the ticket upon entering the parking area. Drive into the garage and make the first right you can and go up the ramp to the second level and make the first right and approach the ramp but this time you have to use your ticket again to raise the guard. This will register you for the roof parking rate. Leave the ticket in your car and when you return, take the ticket back down and pay and then go back up and drive your car down. You will show the ticket again on level 2 and again leaving the parking area. 

21 minutes ago, tomgates said:

The most convenient is the roof of the parking garage for $119 per 24 hours. Just shy of 6 days was only $714. You take the ticket upon entering the parking area. Drive into the garage and make the first right you can and go up the ramp to the second level and make the first right and approach the ramp but this time you have to use your ticket again to raise the guard. This will register you for the roof parking rate. Leave the ticket in your car and when you return, take the ticket back down and pay and then go back up and drive your car down. You will show the ticket again on level 2 and again leaving the parking area. 

"I am a sometimes Uber driver. I took a couple to the airport on Tues and fare was $152 from Ajijic. " tomgates

Why didn't you use Uber?

I did use Uber. Just telling people what the Uber rate is. There is no point in using someone who says they are Uber and charging $300p. He is ripping people off. 

If you are asking why park when I could use Uber, I had to leave here at 3:15am and didn't get back until after 9:30pm. Very little chance of  getting an Uber driver at both times.

13 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

I thought you could pre-schedule Uber, no?

You can pre-schedule according to their web site but they say there is no guarantee a driver will respond so I don't understand how it works or why anyone would do it.  Maybe in a city when  you know there will always be drivers, but not around here. 

As far as I can tell, there are only a couple drivers besides myself and that is during the day. I don't need the money bad enough to drive around on the village cobblestones for $18-30p per trip! 

14 minutes ago, tomgates said:

As far as I can tell, there are only a couple drivers besides myself and that is during the day. I don't need the money bad enough to drive around on the village cobblestones for $18-30p per trip! 

Amen to that!!

Paying an Uber driver more that a local taxi driver... why? Defeats the whole purpose on several levels. First of all, I can tell you with surety that the majority of Mexicans do not tip taxi drivers. Secondly, while Uber is now allowing tipping in some countries, part of its whole thang is "no tipping". Thirdly, comparing local taxis or Uber to NOB prices is a mistake, unless you feel you must also compare it to, oh I dunno, Swedish krona. Again, why? Finally, Uber is supposed to be cheaper, and was started because taxi unions around the world have a tight grip on pricing and, as many will agree, charge way too much. If they didn't, Uber wouldn't have been so successful so fast. And paying through the app is the way they control the prices and the tipping. Your tip? Give the driver a good rating.

Archived