Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for Cheap Rentals

pagebeard

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, nolajoe said:

Try using a capital "R". I searched for "Rony"  and got 48 pages of results.

Dang, I had no idea any search would be case sensitive. My bad. Oh, it is Rony and I apologize for my stupidity. I will blame my age.:P

Hi...  it is actually a list with contact information of about 14 Chapala (only Chapala) landlords, who all together have approx 100 properties.  It is up to the expat to contact them and check what is available and what is not.  Prices of those rentals start at 2000 pesos and are in mostly safe areas (not all,... but mostly Mexican prices).  I know most of these landlords/properties and can share the good and the bad. In the last (almost 20)  years,  I have moved around quite a bit myself (Chapala and Guadalajara).

It is not a list with rentals.

This list makes it easier for newcomers to get something fast.  I dont send it around, as I like to give some personal/verbal info/advice with it (sometimes, I happen to know of additional places, that actually are available).  And I do adapt the info on the list regularly.  Every Tuesday at 1 pm, I stop by at the  Chapala American Legion, with some copies .  The barman will tell you, who I am.  Unfortunately, I look older now, than on this picture.  I have tried to change it (the pic), ... but have not been able to.

Just a few pesos for the copies, and a smile.  It is 3 pages and an additional map of Chapala.

At this moment, it does seem to be more difficult to find something (last week, I knew of 4 places,.... and they are all rented now).

Still....  with patience, time and networking, you can still find excellent deals in Chapala.  And as mentioned in previous posts,... do your homework before signing.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Rony

I think it is safe to say that many of us here are very glad Rony came back.  This is a wonderful service, Rony, and particularly welcome as the rental market continues to tighten up.  A big thanks to you and your contributions to the community and this board.

21 minutes ago, moderator-2 said:

I think it is safe to say that many of us here are very glad Rony came back.  This is a wonderful service, Rony, and particularly welcome as the rental market continues to tighten up.  A big thanks to you and your contributions to the community and this board.

Yes, all of that and he makes the best chocolate!

On 11/22/2017 at 5:39 PM, dichosalocura said:

Come check out the bigger town of Chapala.  We are just 10 mins down the road by bus and things are much cheaper here.  More than likely you will find Chapala to be much more livable.  Wider and smoother side walks, much flatter,  more open areas.  The only benefit of living in Ajijic I can see is that the town is better painted with murals and artwork.  And has more gringos with more international cuisine options available there.  Think of Monterey and Carmel (but in a more humble Mexican way)  Chapala is Monterey and Ajijic is Carmel, the little rich bohemian and artistic neighbor down the road.  There is a Belgium guy here in Chapala named Ronnie, who makes excellent chocolates and sells a list of rentals for 10 pesos or so (to cover the xerox charges) Rentals he checked out himself. 

I have a widow friend who is looking for a rental in Chapala because it is cheaper.  Can you tell me where i can find Ronnie and his list of rentals?  thanks so much

On 11/22/2017 at 5:39 PM, dichosalocura said:

Come check out the bigger town of Chapala.  We are just 10 mins down the road by bus and things are much cheaper here.  More than likely you will find Chapala to be much more livable.  Wider and smoother side walks, much flatter,  more open areas.  The only benefit of living in Ajijic I can see is that the town is better painted with murals and artwork.  And has more gringos with more international cuisine options available there.  Think of Monterey and Carmel (but in a more humble Mexican way)  Chapala is Monterey and Ajijic is Carmel, the little rich bohemian and artistic neighbor down the road.  There is a Belgium guy here in Chapala named Ronnie, who makes excellent chocolates and sells a list of rentals for 10 pesos or so (to cover the xerox charges) Rentals he checked out himself. 

Wow, that really *is* a stretch! LOL - we drove around Carmel in 2011, marvelling at the small homes selling for over $1Million. Just because they had an ocean view! Pshaw!

Oh, wait, now that I think about it.........I take it back. Ajijic really is the Carmel of Mexico! Without the ocean. And the Trader Joe's. LOL

4 hours ago, dixonge said:

Wow, that really *is* a stretch! LOL - we drove around Carmel in 2011, marvelling at the small homes selling for over $1Million. Just because they had an ocean view! Pshaw!

Oh, wait, now that I think about it.........I take it back. Ajijic really is the Carmel of Mexico! Without the ocean. And the Trader Joe's. LOL

I lived near there before moving to Mexico.  Tiny houses with ocean view update:  over 3 million $$ several years ago.  Nothing wrong with Lakeside........but it ain't the same, big time.B)  We could start with the way it looks....

Geez ... I miss Trader Joe's!...and a few other things....

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know of an org. or website  listing longterm rooms for rent?  I'll be retiring soon with a social security pension of around $1000 a month.  Do many retired expats in Chapala rent out bedrooms to other expats?  If so, is there a website hub listing current room rentals?  I don't think I can afford an apt. on my social security pension if I decide to retire to the Chapala area, so I want to scout out rooms for rent.

Thanks ever so much!

Liz

51 minutes ago, Lizzy-Lou said:

I don't think I can afford an apt. on my social security pension if I decide to retire to the Chapala area...

The Mexican government agrees with you. You can not get anything but a six-month tourist permit with that income.

On 11/28/2017 at 12:40 PM, gringal said:

I lived near there before moving to Mexico.  Tiny houses with ocean view update:  over 3 million $$ several years ago.  Nothing wrong with Lakeside........but it ain't the same, big time.B)  We could start with the way it looks....

Geez ... I miss Trader Joe's!...and a few other things....

Thank goodness we don't have to go all the way to CA for Trader Joe's these days, right there in Fort Worth.  And In and Out burgers in Arlington.  Both however are not recommended for the waistline.  :D

You can keep CA.  If I wanted to live in that level of crazy I'd skip the middleman and go get a room in a mental institution.  🤣

OTOH there's nothing like west coast Chinese food.  😎

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Thank goodness we don't have to go all the way to CA for Trader Joe's these days, right there in Fort Worth.  And In and Out burgers in Arlington.  Both however are not recommended for the waistline.  :D

You can keep CA.  If I wanted to live in that level of crazy I'd skip the middleman and go get a room in a mental institution.  🤣

OTOH there's nothing like west coast Chinese food.  😎

There are many crazy-free places in CA and not only great Chinese food, but Indian as well and I hate to say it., but in places like Monterey, there's better Mexican food than I've found in Mexico...at least, around here.

Texas is a whole 'nother story.

😏

Archived