Chapala.com Webboard

Date Palm Dying

Oregold

I have a question for the knowledgeable gardeners of Ajijic.  I have a date palm that has been healthy until this year.  It is dying.  The fronds appear to be drying and the top of the tree is dying.  We hate to lose  it as it was a beautiful tree.  Does anyone know if there is a disease that affects the date palms and whether there might be any treatment?  If it becomes necessary to find another tree and wait for it to grow, is there a way to make sure that the disease does not occur in the replacement? 

Thank you for any help! 

I lost one and it turns out it was attacked by a large beetle that  ate the heart  out of it.. Can you hear a noise coming out of it'? My neighbor and had had to cut 2 beautiful treets. Call robert from Chapala treet service maybe he can do something before it is too late.

There is a horrible beetle killing our coco palms at the beach, and I suspect it is the same one. I emailed my friend who knows more than I do for more info. Also, this summer I saw evidence of "greening", the dreadful citrus disease brought to us by a Chinese wasp the size of a grain of pollen. Between the greening and the recent hurricane, Florida citrus is virtually dead. I smuggled Texas Ruby Red Grapefruit cuttings in here for years and had a beautiful healthy orchard until the greening started. I gave away so many bushels and it was such a pleasure......

I had the same thing. A larva looking bug in the heart of the palm. It's quite distressing to lose a large, apparently healthy tree this way. Get help, but it's likely that if the problem is so far advanced, you won't be able to save it.

Your information about the beetle and a bacterial infection carried by the beetle was correct.  You were also right about it being too late for the palm.  I was advised that while date palms are the most susceptible, other palms are at risk as well.  We're having the tree removed.  :-)

Thank you for your help. 

• 4 months later...

Yes. Please look on the right side of your screen and under the title Tree Services is Chapala tree services.  The telephone # is shown there.

It is also shown in the Chapala Directory and the LCS Directory (Telephone Books).

Oh, just for the heck of it I entered the phrase Chapala Tree Service into Google search and it was shown there too.

Being terribly cruel, I will let you look it up :) 

The beetle is one of the thousand species of weevils.  It lays eggs in the crown of the palms and the resulting larvae eat the crown. The only thing to do is cut down the palm and burn the crown so as to kill the larvae which will soon become beetles, which fly to other palms, which lay eggs... This is what Robert of Chapala Tree Service will tell you.  It is a growing problem in the Ribera.  The burning is, of course, in service to other palm owners.    If palm owners don`t start destroying the weevils, there will be fewer and fewer palms, of any kind, in the Ribera.

Archived