Chapala.com Webboard

Compensation

d-d

Wouldn't you think a popular, local restaurant would give a little compensation as a thank you when my husband stomped and killed a rat under the table last night?  A dessert maybe?  The waiter was quick to sweep it up with a dust pan, so I should be happy with that at least.  That was a first for us, so I don't know.

Most restaurants have openings to the street and can not control what scurries or flies in. I have seen pigs trot through (zipolite), crabs invading (Yelapa), chickens (Zempoala), and dogs about everywhere. You're not in Kansas anymore.

Several years ago at a popular village breakfast place on Hidalgo just west of the plaza, there was a large live roach in my OJ. Got a laugh from the waiter who asked if I wanted a new OJ (??), no apology, certainly nothing comp-ed. Customer relations in some restaurants and shops is indifferent at best to downright poor. My solution is to patronize only the places that are consistent in treating customers well. Fortunately, there are a good number of those. 

Mexicans generally do not expect to be compensated for ordinary happenings which is just life. They laugh and go on with living. They expect other people will do the same. A Mexican friend related a story of a horrible series of events that had occurred to a related family of his. When I responded with “Oh, that is so awful!” he smiled. “But no one is dead so that’s good. Everything else we can fix.”

I was in a popular local restaurant a  few years and eventually noticed two flies in my margarita, one still alive and swimming. We called over the waiter. He looked at it casually, unperturbed. Do you want another drink, he asked. Yes, of course,  I said. Later the other drink was added to the  bill. We called over the manager who took off the charge for the replacement drink. So I only paid for the one with the two flies. Or paid for the one without the flies. But there was no freebie.

Lexy

Archived