Chapala.com Webboard

Home Healthcare

airchamby

My aunt and I are planning to move down to the Ajijic area in the near future.  She is disabled and needs full time in home caregivers.  Has anyone had experience working with home healthcare workers in the area?  Is there a company that provides this service in the area? 

I am sure that I can find someone to do this as she does not need a RN but her Spanish is poor so we need to find people that can speak some English.

I am budgeting $500 Pesos for an 8 hour shift.  Do you think that this is going to be enough?  I recently lived in Guadalajara and paid laborers $300 Pesos per day but this is a bit more specific of a job and I imagine that the local workers in Ajijic have been spoiled somewhat.

All replies appreciated.

Mike

There have been several training courses in this area recently to provide care-givers so i am sure you would find someone, not professional but qualified but the English will be a problem. You suggest  your mother has some Spanish so she would probably be able to cope. I would suggest that you will probably have to come here and then make some definite arrangements to find a helper. But, I think it can be done without too much trouble for you or your mother.

The nursing/home health care service I've used in the past (twice) is Lidia at lakeside Medical Supply (or something like that).  cell 333-156-9080.  She speaks English.  I've been very happy with the nurses from her service.  I didn't need anyone with serious nursing skills - just to care for a person with dementia. For short term (less than a week) and short notice, as I remember it cost roughly 50$US per 24 hours. (It's been a couple of years.)  That was for one nurse that stayed the whole time.  So your budget is probably fine, but talk to Lidia for up-to-date info/costs. 

It would be easier to start with a service, and then after you get settled you could direct hire. 

I used Lidia to arrange for round the clock nurses when I came home following open heart surgery. She also was able to supply some equipment I needed - like oxygen. VERY happy with her service and with the assistance she arranged. I agree that might be a good way to start and then you could  have time to figure out a long term plan.

The advantage to having someone like Lidia taking responsibility for this is that it will require several people to cover 24 hours/day every day. She will make sure you have a reliable person there for each 24 hour shift. Otherwise you are going to have to manage all that yourself including dealing with someone not being available at the last minute, on holidays, etc.

My surgery and home recovery was just over a year ago and if I remember correctly it was $1,800 pesos for a 24 hour shift so just a bit over your budget. Lidia came but the house more than once just to "check in". We occasionally run into her around town and she always remembers me and asks how I am doing. In my case it was well worth it.

I am sure you will find a solution that will work for you and your aunt.

Thank you all for your responses.  You have reassured me that I will be able to find what I am looking for at close to my budgeted price once i arrive.

I found an email address for Lidia somewhere online of (lidiazamudio@yahoo.com.mx).  I sent her an email and have not heard back from her.  Does anyone know if that email address it still good and I just need to wait or does she have a new one?

Archived