Chapala.com Webboard

Shaw channel?

Bookworm

Remember that Shaw Direct has the old fashioned or classic lineup where the channel numbers were the same on Star Choice where for example CNN is on Channel 500, BBC world 501. HLN 502, FOX 503, etc. And there is the new channel listing given to folks who have not had Shaw that long  On the new listing the above channels are found on different channel #'s. So when asking for a channel #s you need to let us know whether you have the classic line up as I do, or the new channel listings given to newer clients.

OK, Even though I've had Shaw for 12 years, I guess I don't have the Classic channel listing.  I do show 175 and 176 but, cannot access them.  I have, however seen Trevor Noah and John Stewart a number of times on some channel less than 100.  That same channel frequently has solo stand-up performers appearing in, sets of, say, 4 solos per hr, as well as sometimes, 1 stand-up for the total hour.  I know the call letters do not say CMDY or anything similar.  I think they may say CTV ... something....something.

33 minutes ago, Bookworm said:

OK, Even though I've had Shaw for 12 years, I guess I don't have the Classic channel listing.  I do show 175 and 176 but, cannot access them.  I have, however seen Trevor Noah and John Stewart a number of times on some channel less than 100.  That same channel frequently has solo stand-up performers appearing in, sets of, say, 4 solos per hr, as well as sometimes, 1 stand-up for the total hour.  I know the call letters do not say CMDY or anything similar.  I think they may say CTV ... something....something.

Probably the best thing to do is use the guide button on your own remote, and scroll through until you find it.  Then make a note of it to remember for later.

New to the board, but I have a question? Not wanting to hijack the thread but this is somewhat related, especially in dealing with channel line-ups... I received a report that Shaw are no longer allowing the legacy  DSR505 receivers, or earlier models such as the DSR 307, to to be added to accounts. According to  a report ( on Tom Zap Meiaque ) you must purchase a newer 600 or later series receiver and of course with it you'll need a new triple feed-horn LNB to match whatever dish size you use.... E60 or E75. Anyone know is this is true? The DSR 505 is a really nice receiver, supports first gen HDMI (that white plug on the back, you need a dollar store converter), the 8psk codec and HD... if this were true I find that very sad.  

Sent an e-mail query to Shaw but no reply...

Yes I disconnected my older but nice DSR 505 and DSR530 receivers and replaced one with a 600 receiver and a few weeks later Shaw no longer had 600 receivers available and got an 800 series for the other replacement. You need the newer series receivers to decode the more highly compressed digital signal which is now MPEG-4 that Shaw Direct is upgrading to.  Up north I need the new LNB able to pick up all three satellites, but down here, we only get the older satellites and not the newer Anik G-1 bird, so I say, why upgrade or change LNBs down here?

Up north, if I want the new channels on the third satellite, then I need a new LNB, but not down here.

Archived