Chapala.com Webboard

RV-ing Motorhome Caravans & Groups Lake Chapala/Guadalajara

MEXLC

We have a few who come here and a really beautiful RV park south of Jocotepec, named "Roca Azul" but this is not a big RV destination.  Most RVers at this time of year head for the beach and the RV parks there.

Between the high costs of fuel and tolls, plus the lack of security, Mexico is not big RV country.  Too bad, we were RVers up north and hoped to get one and do some here.  For the most part, people stay at hotels in town in Mexico.  Makes some sense since so many of the towns are really great places to visit.  Mexico has its share of natural beauty but the real places for that kind of RVing is the U.S. and Canada.  Beaches excepted, Mexico has the best beaches of practically anywhere on the planet and in great quantity.

There are groups that specialize in RVing in Mexico and people who set up caravans.  Google RV in Mexico and follow some of the links.

On November 19, 2017 at 8:19 AM, Mainecoons said:

We have a few who come here and a really beautiful RV park south of Jocotepec, named "Roca Azul" but this is not a big RV destination.  Most RVers at this time of year head for the beach and the RV parks there.

Between the high costs of fuel and tolls, plus the lack of security, Mexico is not big RV country.  Too bad, we were RVers up north and hoped to get one and do some here.  For the most part, people stay at hotels in town in Mexico.  Makes some sense since so many of the towns are really great places to visit.  Mexico has its share of natural beauty but the real places for that kind of RVing is the U.S. and Canada.  Beaches excepted, Mexico has the best beaches of practically anywhere on the planet and in great quantity.

There are groups that specialize in RVing in Mexico and people who set up caravans.  Google RV in Mexico and follow some of the links.

Thanks for your response Maincoons.  All information and perspectives are appreciated.

We will be doing both Mexico and US travel.

MEXLC,

It's not quite clear to me if you are looking for people who would be traveling "from" Lake Chapala area, to spots around Mexico, or perhaps, groups that you might join from up north to get here and possibly return with?

If the latter, there are several Canadian based groups that provide and lead caravans into and around Mexico, you might find one with a Google search.  One is found at:  https://vrcamping.com/caravanes-soleil

Other general information that might be useful regarding this area:

http://www.roca-azul.com/

http://www.mexconnect.com/assets/0000/5716/chapalamapspdf.pdf

http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/155

http://www.insidelakeside.com/

http://www.lakechapalasociety.org/index.php

http://www.ajijicnews.com/pages/Home

Many, many more RV'ers simply drive by themselves, or occasionally, travel with one or two others that are moving (either direction) with similar schedules.

It might be common for a first timer to be concerned about all the things they don't know about Mexico,  driving IN Mexico, plus all the (negative) things they read in the papers and see on CNN, et al.. Many of us here can't decide between laughing at the absurdity, or to cry about the disinformation.   But generally, most of those things in the news are blown way out of proportion.

If you are an experienced RV'er, you will most likely know already, nearly everything you need to know, with the exception of a few specifics to travel and staying in Mexico. 

One of those is, you have two choices for bringing in your RV.  You can apply for and receive a ten year permit for an RV, usually achieved on line, or, you can bring it in on a "TIP" which is acquired at the border.  For a short-term, single trip, the latter might suit fine, but the former leaves many other possibilities.  Also, commonly, one person can only bring in one motor vehicle, so, if you have a motor home and a car, using the TIP method, you'll need a second driver to get the second vehicle into the country.  Insurance required, options can be found on line. 

I'm not the expert for all details, but a little research (and specifically defined questions here) can get those questions answered.  Advance planning tends to make things easier.

If you're looking for groups leaving from Chapala area for other Mexican destinations, that's going to be harder to come by.  RV'ers here might fit into a few categories.  One, people who come down for a short "trip" but aren't going to be staying.  Another, people who live in their RV's here.  People who come for four to six months and head back.  People who own or rent here full-time, but also have an RV for occasional trips to the coast or other destinations. 

But Caravans starting from here, I haven't heard of.

Good luck.

Roads are often narrower, and without shoulders. Be very cautious about that, and watch your rear wheel to keep it on the pavement.  Learn the unique signaling techniques to be able to pass a truck, or to signal to others, etc., as well as unique left turn rules, truck (and RV) lane requirements, lack of overhead clearance, limbs protruding into the roadway, etc., etc.

On November 24, 2017 at 6:09 PM, AngusMactavish said:

Thank you for these links, AngusMactavish!

On November 24, 2017 at 11:47 AM, AlongTheWay said:

But Caravans starting from here, I haven't heard of.

Good links for those interested in the area However, we are interested in traveling (call it what you may) with others whom are in Mexico.   There are others here, as a recent PM has informed.  As for up north, we are familiar with the terrain there and will most likely be traveling on our own, unless of course we became friends with others who enjoy that.

Looking for fuel stations that will have ULSD diesel fuel that is required in newer RV's. Without that, damage to the engine's pollutions controls and voiding the warranty is possible.  Does any Pemex or other fuel station carry the newer diesel fuel?

While this does not apply to what we will require... Chuckles... Here is  a link for you: http://www.mexicorvbuddies.com/diesel.php This page states that Pemex has announced that all diesel in Mexico will be ULSD as of December 2018   Furthermore, this business claims to have a  list of 3200 stations that are already pumping ULSD all over Mexico

Sorry to say, unless one stays on cuotas I think that Mexican towns and villages would be very hard to navigate by RVs. Going to a beach would be fine, there are RVs parks along the coast. On cuotas people mainly stay at gas stations or booths. I do not think it is very practical way of travel in Mexico...even if the country is beautiful.  Depends on what is the objective and the knowledge of the country.To come down and stay at the beach for winter is perfectly fine but discovering the colonial cities ....not so much. Very difficult and sometimes impossible. JMHO.

There used to be a blog several years ago ( I followed) about a young couple who took that challenge and describing the troubles they went through. Fortunately most Mexican people are very gracious and they got lots of help of local police. They had a fairly big rig, though. I admired them because they stuck with it for several months. It could be doable if traveling with some very knowledgeable,  Spanish speaking person  who knows where to go and stay and the tricks of RV travels in Mexico.

Good luck and hope to hear from you from the road :-). Its going to be an adventure.

No need for a large RV (for us-ours is quite modest in size)... We plan to do scouted out trips that RV friends have done with ease (Mexico) and enjoy US travel as well.  Those friends have successfully explored Mexico, for the past couple of years and will now continue to US and CA.   It helps to have that wealth of knowledge. We gather that navigation in parts can be quite challenging without.     

As for the caravan, our definition of that would be others in RVs to do that travel with.... nothing major like the caravan business in the link above.  

Nice way to meet friends, become more experienced in these parts etc.

Thanks MexLC.  My current thinking is considering selling the 35' 5th wheel and GMC 3500 Denali and trade down to a good 1500 or 2500 gas rig with the new lighter 5th wheels and travel trailers.  Then I can use the truck after dropping the trailer to tour those small Mexican towns and still carry my dogs in comfort!

• 9 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:53 PM, Chuckles said:

Thanks MexLC.  My current thinking is considering selling the 35' 5th wheel and GMC 3500 Denali and trade down to a good 1500 or 2500 gas rig with the new lighter 5th wheels and travel trailers.  Then I can use the truck after dropping the trailer to tour those small Mexican towns and still carry my dogs in comfort!

Very few of the small Mexican towns will have a place to drop your trailer safely.  Best way to RV through Mexico is probably in a B size self contained van/rv which can be parked on a street in a conventional parking space. 

Here is a great link for destinations around here 

www.ranchopint.com

We explored  Tamara canyon last weekend, but it required driving 8 miles on a pothole filled muddy dirt road which turned into a steep rocky road. No conventional RV would have made it

2 hours ago, ea93105 said:

Very few of the small Mexican towns will have a place to drop your trailer safely.  Best way to RV through Mexico is probably in a B size self contained van/rv which can be parked on a street in a conventional parking space. 

Here is a great link for destinations around here 

www.ranchopint.com

We explored  Tamara canyon last weekend, but it required driving 8 miles on a pothole filled muddy dirt road which turned into a steep rocky road. No conventional RV would have made it

Watch out for the streets in Ajijic ..similar situation

Archived