Chapala.com Webboard

Superlake

HoneyBee

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His return may depend upon the seriousness of the rift.  It might even be possible that a Super del Lago might be on the horizon; a more modern supermercado with parking galore and loaded with “expat food“, available via online ordering and delivered to your door; or, maybe even a lakeside alliance with Aladino, or another Guadalajara importer of NoB goodies.    Who knows?     Could he be in talks with WM and take over the local store? there is a real fantasy for speculation.     :ph34r:

I went to Superlake this Saturday morning and asked a bag boy, who happened to be Poncho's son, what happened to Poncho. He answered that Poncho had a new job at a restaurant on the Libremento. I asked several other persons that I had gotten to kind-of sort-of know shopping over the years.

They all said everything is fine (I don't believe it) and that everything will remain the same. I walked through the store picking up some items and noticed some shelves missing items to sell, you know, no Tricots, no Diet decaffeinated coke, Etc. Upon leaving, I asked the lady who sat next to Poncho when he was there when they would get new stock. She said Monday.

Everyone was pretending that everything was fine and that nothing had changed.

Only time will tell what will happen. Somehow I think that everything will eventually come back to normal. I sure hope that the owner, Poncho's Uncle, asks Poncho to come back.

Yes, most newbies to Mexico coo, ooh, and aah about the culture and how wonderful it is that Mexican families and extended families spend so much time together. If they stay long enough they learn that there are some downsides to living on top of, next door to, and even just in the same barrio, never mind the same village. Closeness sometimes brings conflict and never having separation from each other seems to make "getting over it" harder. In our BnB we had a gardener and his niece, the cook, who did not speak to each other. 6 1/2 years and it continued although neither trashed the other.

5 hours ago, Yo1 said:

If he manages a restaurant as badly as he did Hole-In-One it will go belly up like HIO did.  A restaurant needs to attract customers as opposed to catering to a captive audience or being the only viable game in town.

This is really, really old news and has nothing to do with him as a proprietor at SuperLake. Just trash talk 

18 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

His return may depend upon the seriousness of the rift.  It might even be possible that a Super del Lago might be on the horizon; a more modern supermercado with parking galore and loaded with “expat food“, available via online ordering and delivered to your door; or, maybe even a lakeside alliance with Aladino, or another Guadalajara importer of NoB goodies.    Who knows?     Could he be in talks with WM and take over the local store? there is a real fantasy for speculation.     :ph34r:

RV, Aladino no longer exists.  Permanently closed.

Superlake, on Saturday mid-day, normally has fresh produce well stocked. Yesterday, there were no bags of Romaine lettuce, celery, etc.

The pepino's were old and soggy. The refrigerator, as you walk in, was more as less empty. No fresh berries, nada. No one was stocking shelves. 

Most unusual.

What Pancho did was a smooth operation with incredible knowledge of the timing of orders and delivery. If his Uncle doesn't get that then Superlake will go down the tubes. On the other hand, Pancho may just be tired of being under appreciated and he has been doing that job for over 20 years. I hope they patch things up but if not... Thanks Pancho for your many many years of hard work and efficiency. Good luck in any future endeavours.

I don't see why anyone would consider this  exchange gossip. We shop at Super  Lake, know the people who work there, want to know what is happening or an explanation for things not being as good as usual.

I hope Pancho comes  back, for everyone's sake. But if he's found a job he likes better, good luck.

Lexy

4 hours ago, stantheman said:

Went into SL today for my usual bottles of Lipton Citrus Green Tea to find that it has just gone up from $7.50 to $9.50 a bottle - a price increase of over 26%; that's quite a jump in price!  Maybe not associated with the absence of Pancho, but there again who knows? 

Wait till 1 Jan and prices of "everything"  will be increased..period

Archived