Chapala.com Webboard

Cheapest electricity on the planet is Mexican solar power at 1.77¢/kWh

Don Anomino

All I can say is that I have had  photo-voltaic solar panels since 2008 and although they were more expensive at that time, they have more than paid for themselves and I love paying only the equivalent of less than $2 to $5 dollars US per month to CFE.

Often I pay as little as $23 pesos per month.  It sure beats paying 32 US cents per KWhour should I enter the DAC rate, which I regularly did before going solar.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a note on solar installations: For our GTO house build, a new policy / step/ procedure was put in effect here. A placard needed to be produced that  describes the install with all our CFE info and system info etc. I guess this is so the meter reader doesn't submit a reading of the meter on top of the base rate. You'd think that entering our meter data would overide that but....

This is in GTO, so I'm assuming that CFE I'd Federal it would effect all states. But... 

This slowed the process down by a month, our installer had to jump through more hoops and come back to take pics of the entire system and have me sign each photo to confirm the install. I am told our install will be approved in a week and we'll be online with the set pricing in place for our next billing cycle. So, ask your Jalisco installer about this if you are going this route. 

On 11/18/2017 at 1:06 PM, johanson said:

All I can say is that I have had  photo-voltaic solar panels since 2008 and although they were more expensive at that time, they have more than paid for themselves and I love paying only the equivalent of less than $2 to $5 dollars US per month to CFE.

Often I pay as little as $23 pesos per month.  It sure beats paying 32 US cents per KWhour should I enter the DAC rate, which I regularly did before going solar.

Tomgate mentioned. 32 which is it? Big difference between the point or no point

On 11/17/2017 at 10:02 PM, Don Anomino said:

Check your link. It now says,"

"I’ve made a mistake – I’m sorry. In my haste and excitement to see show off solar power – I’ve given it undue credit. Wind Power got these bids and I initially misinterpreted a piece of ambiguous information. While solar power did amazingly get a bid at 1.97¢ – it did not break below the recently set Saudi Record. Anything written in this article hereafter has been updated."

26 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Tomgate mentioned. 32 which is it? Big difference between the point or no point

Tom was talking about the DAC rate. and it is very high per KWH.  I was talking about something very different. I was talking about how much I am charged per month if I generate more electricity than I consume..

If you generate more power than you use, you are still charged for the amount one would pay for 25 KWH per month. Right now one KWH costs almost one peso per month. Therefore because I am not on DAC and generate more power than I use, I am charged approximately $23 pesos per month. However now that I am paying every other month, I pay $46 pesos every other month.

On 11/18/2017 at 10:17 AM, tomgates said:

Last time I checked, the DAC rate was something like US$.32/Kwh.

Why do you and Pete have different decimal places??? , has Pete misspoken or are you wrong??.......

Petes  comment.......It sure beats paying 32 US cents per KWhour should I enter the DAC rate, which I regularly did before going solar.

Couple of mentions;

- the price for the power the OP mentions is the supplier's bid to install that production capacity, and all the costs of distribution, maintenance, admin get added to that to come up with the "retail" price.   Not likely to have an effect on the CFE rate structure, however, the more clean power at ultra competitive rates, the better for all.

- Not seeing what was mentioned about the GTO install requirements here at lakeside.   In fact, this week at a new Ajijic project, CFE came and changed the meter to solar 3 days from the submission of the signed solar agreement, which is better than the typical 7 to 10 days.   No other constrainst or requirements.

- DAC rate incl IVA is in the 4+ peso range / kWh.    We size solar systems to get a bill down to the 1 peso range (= 150 to 250 pesos bill for 2 months) as it generally does not pay to go to "0".     Some folks want to, anyway.....!    ;-)

Gosh, I am sorry I started this rather fun debate about the cost of electricity. I totally agree with what Go Solar said about getting usage down to where you pay about 1 peso per KWH. I got an extra one or two panels so that I could run the pump on my fountain more often..

Trouble is now that I can run it all of the time I don't want to run it at all and now I am generating more energy than I need most of the time. However during the last 40 or so days of this 61 day billing period, I am breaking about even.

Oh and pappysmarket, I have been talking about the Canadian dollar. And remember one does not use pennies anymore in Canada.  Only kidding about using the Canadian loonie . Not about the penny.

But no matter what, I am charged for the first 25 KWH per month whether I use them or not, which in my case was $46 pesos for the last 2 month billing period

Or put another way, because I have already paid for them, I can use up to 25 KWH per month or 50 per billing period without increasing what I pay per billing period.

Hey Pappysmarket, I'm from the US, just south of Vancouver BC,. And where the power Company  is called BC Hydro, because most of the power comes from hydro. Or rain water coming over dams  Our family has a cottage (summer home) on Vancouver Island, where the toonie is two times the value of a loonie

So when up north I use both US and Canadian monies and receive my Shaw Direct bill with the amount shown in Canadian loonies.

I just read what I am about to post. Although all true, it sounds like a lot of unwanted information or BS to me. Oh well. :) 

Archived