Chapala.com Webboard

Telmex Internet Speed

I got my bill via email and it had the 499 for UP TO 50Mbps offer. I have tried before and ended with a not available in you area reply to my application. I tried again today and it accepted my request and they said I would be contacted. Twenty minutes later the connection died. I reset the modem and now I get:

6803443389.png

I know about the UP TO and still feel that doubling my speed for 110 pesos more is still acceptable. My worry is that I am getting the same 20 Mbps that, per my recollection, some get on the 389 plan. Any comments?

The maximum download speed on the $389 peso package is 10 down and very slow up.  Shown below is the speed I get at $389 per month. They tell me I could pay more for a higher speed, but that it wouldn't help because they do not have the bandwidth in my neighborhood (upper Ajijic)

6803515846.png

As you can imagine, I am quite envious of your speeds

TelMex must have monkeys in the room where they type up the plans. It changes so often. Now, looking at their display page, it says, as Angus pointed out, "Up to 50" for two months, then the price goes to $599. BUT the 599 plans says only "Up to 40". Does this mean they are going to ratchet back? Wakey wakey, monkeys.

And, it is true that the $389 plan was "Up to 20" for quite some time, and now it is back down to 10.

McT, what was your speed before the upgrade? I'm curious now if perhaps TelMex has expanded their VDSL service, and others who have been struggling with the "not in your area" line might be able to move up, too. If I may ask, in what part of lakeside do you reside?

10 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

McT, what was your speed before the upgrade? I'm curious now if perhaps TelMex has expanded their VDSL service, and others who have been struggling with the "not in your area" line might be able to move up, too. If I may ask, in what part of lakeside do you reside?

It was a solid 10 Mbps here in Chapala Centro.

Are there any alternative providers for internet besides Telmex such as satellite providers? I would like to be able to stream US tv using my Amazon fire stick, or is that not possible? Also is it true that overall the speeds are better in Chapala centro as apposed to Ajijic or San Antonio?

51 minutes ago, Dan M said:

Are there any alternative providers for internet besides Telmex such as satellite providers? 

The only reason to get satellite internet is that you have no other options and then one would still complain. If a stable connection with 20 Mbps is important, I believe you will want to settle in the center of Chapala.

Archived