Chapala.com Webboard

Advice on bringing back a load of stuff...

ea93105

I will be driving my Mexican plated car, towing a Mexican plated trailer to the US in December and returning with the trailer full of my peronal used belongings along with a sprinkling of new things.

entering through Nogales...

I don't plan on voluntarily stopping for anything....unless I know a good reason to do so.

I will have a printed list of contents of the trailer with me..

Advice questions :

Best to cross early in the morning ?

Best to cross on a sunday or holiday ?

Any other tips ?

Etc....

Thanks

There used to be a dollar (peso) amount over which you needed to have a broker. Perhaps someone else knows what it is. We came with a car full also pulling a trailer and a list as you said, in USD. We had to show it and the agent told us it was too much, value was too high. I then said it was pesos. Fine! We had to pay tax on the amount. This was 9 years ago and things have changed I am sure.

Cross as early as possible. We found that if we got a red light, tell them in ENGLISH you live at Lake Chapala in Jalisco and everything is for your house. We listed everything but put a total at the end below the amount that you can legally bring in. If you have new items, put them in the car and keep the receipts with you. We always had receipts available that were below the legal limit so we did bot have to pay...ever.

If you are crossing at Nogales, you have a 3 day drive to Lakeside. If you stay in the US,  you should make Cotila, Texas in a long day on nice US roads. Cross at Columbia Bridge (opens 8am) and no traffic. Then you can make Lakeside in 11 or so hours. 

We have entered twice a year through Nogales for the past 8-9 years.  Always early in the morning and all but once through the in-town (rather than the Mariposa) crossing.  Two or three we have gotten the red light, but inspections were cursory at best.  The one time we crossed at Mariposa we were subjected to a much more thorough inspection (as was nearly everyone else that day as best as I could tell. No duty but a lot of questions.)  Traffic, BTW, is very light in town in the early morning.  Just keep following the signs for Hermosillo.  We'll be crossing again this Saturday morning.

Someone once told me that if you think the Mexican Customs MAY question what you are bringing in.... tape a 500 peso bill in plain site in the trunk/trailer or where ever and then the Customs Officer has a decision to make.

I wonder what he would do ? ? ? ?  :P

Archived