Chapala.com Webboard

Restaurants and lobsters

Justathought

Elegante serves langosta (warm water lobster) tail as a special. If you call a day or more before your reservation with the number of tails your party wants, they will be reserved for you and be ready for cooking. Without reservations its an extra 30 minutes to prepare and the tails are subject to being sold out. The price is  425pesos per tail with drawn butter, mashed potatoes and the vegetable.

Reservations: 766-1066

Constitucion #59 (between Javier Mina and Galeana)

www.eleganteajijic.com

23 minutes ago, Elegante said:

Elegante serves langosta (warm water lobster) tail as a special. If you call a day or more before your reservation with the number of tails your party wants, they will be reserved for you and be ready for cooking. Without reservations its an extra 30 minutes to prepare and the tails are subject to being sold out. The price is  425pesos per tail with drawn butter, mashed potatoes and the vegetable.

Reservations: 766-1066

Constitucion #59 (between Javier Mina and Galeana)

www.eleganteajijic.com

Let us know when you are serving Australian lobster tails or Maine lobster. 

Good luck with Maine/Nova Scotia lobster. They need to be flown in live and that ain't going to happen here now is it. By the way why bother with Aussie tales when Pacific and Carribean are available here and flash frozen and basically the same except for the shorter trip. Only Moreton Bay Bugs from Aussie might be worth the import

18 minutes ago, ned small said:

Good luck with Maine/Nova Scotia lobster. They need to be flown in live and that ain't going to happen here now is it. By the way why bother with Aussie tales when Pacific and Carribean are available here and flash frozen and basically the same except for the shorter trip. Only Moreton Bay Bugs from Aussie might be worth the import

The heart wants what the heart wants:  the Aussie bugs that were often on the menus back in CA.  Not  overly fond of the Maine-type ones.

35 minutes ago, ned small said:

Actually, Ismat from Gossips and Avocado Club does special dinners and he orders in lobster from Nova Scotia.  Nova Scotia lobster is sent live and packed on ice for shipping to places as far as China!

We had lunch at Gosha's today and I asked to see their dinner menu.  It had a number of good looking dishes, including Caesar salad made at your table, and some great sounding appetizers.  There is a complete bar available.  I asked about lobster and Gosha  brought a frozen one out to see.  It was a huge tail weighing a pound, which she said would cost around $700  pesos, to include the sides.  She said that the price would depend on the weight of the lobster tail, and I would be happy with a much smaller one.  However, this is the real deal lobster tail.  Seeing is believing and it's a "Special Occasion" meal I intend to put high on my list.

3 hours ago, gringal said:

We had lunch at Gosha's today and I asked to see their dinner menu.  It had a number of good looking dishes, including Caesar salad made at your table, and some great sounding appetizers.  There is a complete bar available.  I asked about lobster and Gosha  brought a frozen one out to see.  It was a huge tail weighing a pound, which she said would cost around $700  pesos, to include the sides.  She said that the price would depend on the weight of the lobster tail, and I would be happy with a much smaller one.  However, this is the real deal lobster tail.  Seeing is believing and it's a "Special Occasion" meal I intend to put high on my list.

I'm glad that Gosha's opens for dinner now.  And that lobster tail sounds like a good deal, especially down here!

57 minutes ago, HarryB said:

Where is Gosha on the highway?

Same block as Bruno's, same side of the street:  a bit East of it.  Big open doors: sign on the wall.  Large patio seating under a roof and several tables inside building.  The food's very good.  Different specials daily listed on back of menu.  Polish food Fridays and Saturdays.

YES!  Real lobster, homarus americanus, and not the cheap false substitutes:

What is commonly sold as a lobster tail is really the abdomen, not the tail. The vast majority of "lobster" tail is from the "spiny lobster" which isn't a lobster at all! It's actually a form of crayfish and isn't even closely related to "true" American lobsters, and certainly does not taste the same, or have the same texture. True lobsters have huge claws, which are very tender and tasty. The spiny lobster, langosta and other crayfish are clawless, warm water creatures. The true lobster is found in cold, northern waters and I have seen one that reached 42 pounds!  Once upon a time, they were so abundant that they were fed to slaves and the excess used as fertilizer in the maritime provinces of Canada and northeastern coastal states of the USA.

You are really trying hard to be picky, since homarus americanus is the scientific, biological species name for the atlantic lobster, in the common terminology that you seem to prefer.  Note that the European relative, still in Atlantic waters, is a different species with smaller claws, etc. Here is an article that will explain it for you:

Atlantic Lobsters, Homarus americanus ~ MarineBio.org

marinebio.org/species.asp?id=533

Description & Behavior. Of the 30-odd types of clawed lobsters worldwide, Atlantic lobsters, Homarus americanus (H. Milne Edwards, 1837), most closely resembles Homarus gammarus, a related European species with slightly less robust claws, or chelae.

Archived