Chapala.com Webboard

LARGE SPIDER YELLOWISH BODY

Does anyone else remember the experiments they did back in the 70's where they fed spiders various drugs and compared the webs they made? There were photos in a popular book back then, can't remember the name of it. As I recall, the spiders given THC made webs with big unfinished spaces, the ones on caffeine made really messy jaggey webs, the ones on LSD made perfect detailed ones. There were more. They used the same type of spider in all the experiments of course.

This time year we get lots of golden orb spiders; check the web from different angles - it will have a gold or yellowish hue. They get fairly big, lay an egg sack then die. Of the six or so in my yard I think I only have 3 left. If you can get close to look at the back of their head looks like a skull. Oh, they also have fuzzy bits on their legs (like pompoms).  Harmless but fascinating.

• 11 months later...
On 11/16/2017 at 7:58 AM, WideSky said:

This time year we get lots of golden orb spiders; check the web from different angles - it will have a gold or yellowish hue. They get fairly big, lay an egg sack then die. Of the six or so in my yard I think I only have 3 left. If you can get close to look at the back of their head looks like a skull. Oh, they also have fuzzy bits on their legs (like pompoms).  Harmless but fascinating.

Yes, Nephila clavipes.  Also look for yellowish fibrous material on some of the strands.  The webs are marvels of construction with much buttressing, sometimes being several feet in total length.  The main spider`s young will hang around and make smaller webs themselves.  A community perhaps all descended from one spider has sparsely populated my yard.  The silk (web strands) of Nephila clavipes has recently been investigated to evaluate its usefulness in surgically improving mammalian neuronal regeneration and their silks are 8 times stronger than steel. They are absolutely fascinating, our very distant relatives.

This was 1995, I think, and done in the style of a typical CBC public service announcement that Canadian kids grew up on, Hinterland Who's Who. The commercials were tidbits of nature information, narrated in a style that would instantly put the viewer to sleep. So typical of Canadian TV in the 60's.

That's a riot. We used to watch it, too. A favourite show was when they discovered a code was actually backwards writing. All the kids had names like Trump's friends: Chub, Zeke, like that. Not sure I could watch it again, though. Did they ever do a spider episode?

Archived