Chapala.com Webboard

something odd in my red wine

Lexy

This morning I was pouring out the glass of red wine my husband didn't finish last night. From the bottom of the glass came two soft rubbery sort of globular-shaped matter. They must have been near the top of the bottle when it got opened and poured.  They didn't look like anything I've seen before. When I pulled them apart there was nothing inside these things. I was about to take it back to SuperLake but a friend says it's not a problem, the wine is probably (?) good.

But I dunno...I've never experienced such a thing. It's a  petite sirah 2014, C.A. Cetto label.

Please spare me the witticisms. It's too early in the morning. I'd really like to hear from the wine experts among you.

Lexy

3 hours ago, Lexy said:

Thanks,  all. Wish I'd  taken a  picture of those odd looking globs. (I keep forgetting I own a smart phone.) Mudgirl, I'll Google  about mother  of vinegar. No, the wine didn't taste vinegary.

I used to work at a winery supply and hadn't heard of this, so googled... "globs in wine". Yeah. It exists. Here is one article about tartrate crystals.   http://tablascreek.typepad.com/tablas/2011/05/whats-in-my-wine-tartrate-crystals.html

Sea--I   did  come across mention of tartrate crystals. But not my kind of glob. I'll take a look at the link you sent.

I've contacted two very knowledgeable people and neither can recall seeing anything like I describe. I've been thinking how to better describe these two little globs and what I come up with is picture two uncooked squid bodies, only much smaller and dark from floating in a bottle of red.

I  dared to taste the wine again after  transferring it to another bottle and it tasted ok. No more globs showed up.

17 hours ago, mudgirl said:

What you are describing sounds like what is called "mother of vinegar", which forms naturally in fermenting wine (you don't indicate that is tasted vinegary, though), and is used to turn wines into vinegar. Goggle it- there's more.

"Mother of Vinegar" is a euphemism for   viscous slime-balls of bacteria. ... The bacteria make slime-ball blobs to protect the bacterial colony from the surrounding environment.

The "mother of vinegar" slime balls are  likely  not pathogenic.

Right, Sea, I also described it as globular in my initial posts and then called them (affectionately) globs. Thanks to you and mudgirl and now snowyco, those globs were nothing to worry about, ugly as they were. Good reading on the websites, too.

Yuck. I would try taking it back. Several years back a wine I had bought at Paz liquor store was odd. I took it back and with just a sniff of it the lady exchanged it.

On 11/17/2017 at 7:04 AM, cedros said:

Yuck. I would try taking it back. Several years back a wine I had bought at Paz liquor store was odd. I took it back and with just a sniff of it the lady exchanged it.

My first thought was  to take it back. Then I realized I'd bought it in Walmart's. Shopping there is bad enough. Returning an opened bottle of wine? Discussing problem at returns desk?  Showing little brown globs?  I  preferred to solve the mystery lumps here. Definitely less hassle and more  fun.

Lexy

Archived