Chapala.com Webboard

Ocumicho, Michoacan Crafts Town

Mainecoons

Ocumicho is most famous for its highly colorful clay devil figures and secondarily for its wooden masks.  The oldest clay devil figures were painted in low-tone natural paints; currently, the new pieces are painted with acrylics and are much more colorful.  The first attached photo shows new pieces.  The second is a rare piece from my collection, made in the 1960s when the devil genre began.  If this style pottery interests you, then it is definitely worth a trip to Ocumicho.  

While you're in that part of Michoacán, you will also want to go to Patamban, famous for its beautiful green-glazed pottery and home to at least two internationally known potters making other types of wares.   You'll want to go to nearby San José de Gracia, home of beautiful handmade piñas.  If you want to stay the night, there's a very good hotel in Tangancícuaro, near the Lago de Camécuaro.

On December 8, 9, and 10, Ajijic will once again host Xill Fessenden's Fiesta P'urépecha, in the plaza.  There may well be Ocumicho artisans showing their work during those days, if you want a better preview of what you will see in the town.

Ocumicho Diablos.jpg

Ocumicho from FGdelaT.jpg

In a related question, More Liana, is Metepec just east of Toluca worth a visit to shop for Arboles de la Vida?  Supposedly is a Pueblo Magico too but looks like a very big and busy place.  It is however supposed to be the place to find the best of this craft.

24 minutes ago, More Liana said:

Ocumicho is most famous for its highly colorful clay devil figures and secondarily for its wooden masks.  The oldest clay devil figures were painted in low-tone natural paints; currently, the new pieces are painted with acrylics and are much more colorful.  The first attached photo shows new pieces.  The second is a rare piece from my collection, made in the 1960s when the devil genre began.  If this style pottery interests you, then it is definitely worth a trip to Ocumicho.  

While you're in that part of Michoacán, you will also want to go to Patamban, famous for its beautiful green-glazed pottery and home to at least two internationally known potters making other types of wares.   You'll want to go to nearby San José de Gracia, home of beautiful handmade piñas.  If you want to stay the night, there's a very good hotel in Tangancícuaro, near the Lago de Camécuaro.

On December 8, 9, and 10, Ajijic will once again host Xill Fessenden's Fiesta P'urépecha, in the plaza.  There may well be Ocumicho artisans showing their work during those days, if you want a better preview of what you will see in the town.

Ocumicho Diablos.jpg

Ocumicho from FGdelaT.jpg

That all sounds like a great overnight trip.  Do you remember the name of the hotel in Tangancícuaro?

Really appreciate you sharing such helpful info!

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

That all sounds like a great overnight trip.  Do you remember the name of the hotel in Tangancícuaro?

Really appreciate you sharing such helpful info!

Casa del Lago--and be sure to visit the lake, very close to the hotel.  
https://www.zonaturistica.com/en/hotel/7084/casa-del-lago-tangancicuaro.html

On November 15, 2017 at 8:58 AM, More Liana said:

Ocumicho is most famous for its highly colorful clay devil figures .....

.....and, many of those pieces display an extraordinary sense of humor. Wicked, even. :lol: (If I'm thinking of the right town, and I think I am. More Liana?)

11 hours ago, Travis said:

.....and, many of those pieces display an extraordinary sense of humor. Wicked, even. :lol: (If I'm thinking of the right town, and I think I am. More Liana?)

Yes you most certainly am!  The two-piece chickens, for example--with a wee surprise inside!

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

When is the best day of the week to go?

I think any day would be fine.  Bear in mind that you're unlikely to find any artisan stores in the town.  You'll be approached by little kids asking, "Quieren ver figuras?" as you drive into the village.  The kids will run ahead of you to guide you to their mother's home, their aunt's workshop, etc.  Tip the kid 5 pesos for being your guide.  You can deposit MY tip to my bank.  Jajaja!  

There are some extraordinary potters in Ocumicho and some who are just okay.  Unless you see something fabulous at the first house you visit, look at several potters' workshops and buy what you think is best.

Camille is right, I forgot about the snakes.  They're wonderful.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived