Chapala.com Webboard

Meeting with Transito

HarryB

8 hours ago, gringal said:

Well said and to the point.  Some gringos are so uptight and horn happy that they honk when the light has turned green but the car ahead of them doesn't go.......because there are pedestrians in the way.  Some of the older pedestrians are slow crossing, too.  (If you hit them, they make awful screams) . It's sometimes tempting to remain in the way,  get out of the car; go to the other driver's window and ask if there's a problem.

Have resisted, so far.........but.:angry:

Put on the emergency flashers and don't move for a minimum of 60 seconds. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

If I recall correctly ,there was a traffic 4 way light at Walmart allowing safe turns???

Yeah, there was a light there but Walmart wasn't allowed by the US to pay the proper bribes and the traffic signal went away.  It is difficult for businesses that paying taxes and creating jobs isn't enough down here. It is against US law for a US company to pay any foreign bribes which cripples US companies around the world. But the same thing happened in front of the Soriana and they lost the intersection and  traffic signal. None of these CS decisions are made with safety in mind.

14 minutes ago, geeser said:

Yeah, there was a light there but Walmart wasn't allowed by the US to pay the proper bribes and the traffic signal went away.  It is difficult for businesses that paying taxes and creating jobs isn't enough down here. It is against US law for a US company to pay any foreign bribes which cripples US companies around the world. But the same thing happened in front of the Soriana and they lost the intersection and  traffic signal. None of these CS decisions are made with safety in mind.

Yes , thank you for reminding me about the ease of getting in and out of Soriana, when in "their" wisdom "they"closed the crossing and created that side slip street, where until recently you had to drive on the "wrong" side to enter and exit!!!!

Ah, but I remember when it used to be open and there was a light. For some reason, probably my own personal weakness and skepticism, I never trusted the vehicles coming down the hill to actually stop for that light. I usually chickened out and turned right, thus of course, creating more air pollution, sorry for that.

I find it hard to believe about Walmart refusing bribes because of US home office. For one thing, when WalMart came into this country, they hooked up with an already-huge Mexican corporation, which means everyone in the company knew all too well what takes place in Mexico in terms of bribery.

Proof that bribes were involved locally is in the store and location itself. The desecration of a huge natural resource, basically an avocado forest, was the first move. The promise and failed follow-through to put in proper ingress and egress routes, and plant a huge number of trees, among other things, should be enough evidence.

Further, as recently as 2012, The Times reported on cases of bribery throughout Mexican WalMarts to local officials (" evidence that regulatory permission for siting, construction, and operation of nineteen stores had been obtained through bribery"; when did our WalMart go in?), one of which ended up in the construction of a giant WalMart near San Juan Teotihuican, which is a historical site where this kind of construction is forbidden by law.

In the case of Soriana, this is a chain owned by a very powerful family in Monterrey, and they have been doing business around the country for years. Nothing gets done without bribes in Mexico, so I think it is safe to assume that whatever happened in front of Soriana had more to do with politics and bad choices.

15 hours ago, luvsdawgs said:

......... It is the gov't of Chapala who licensed the cart. ........

Chapala cannot issue Jalisco license plates, as that is a state function and they are issued by the office of the SAT Recaudadora, on Degollado in Chapala.  Your friend may have been the victim of a scam and have not protection at all.  It would be interesting to see if she has a “Tarjeta de Circulacion“ in her name, and which describes the golf cart as the vehicle.  That document is issued with every set of license plates, along with a sticker to be displayed in the rear window of the vehicle.

If going west, after shopping at Walmart, most people go out the far east entrance/exit. Most people going west on the carretera will allow you in... and even if they're going east when there's a back up. Your head does have to be on a swivel but it is definitely the safest way. Legal? Dunno. But any other way is far more hazardous. imho.

35 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I find it hard to believe about Walmart refusing bribes because of US home office. For one thing, when WalMart came into this country, they hooked up with an already-huge Mexican corporation, which means everyone in the company knew all too well what takes place in Mexico in terms of bribery.

Read here re: WalMart and MX bribes.

Walmart got into trouble with US Justice Dept. regarding bribes paid in Mexico (and India and China). 

https://www.environmentalleader.com/2017/05/walmart-gets-a-break-mulls-300m-settlement/

The investigation into Walmart’s alleged bribes in Mexico to obtain permits to build stores has led US authorities to ask the company to pay $300 million in fines. This is significantly less than the $1 billion settlement the Justice Department and the Securities and Exchange Commission were reportedly attempting to reach during the Obama administration, according to Reuters.

Walmart instigated a wide-spread investigation to look into employee behavior across the globe. The company currently has about 2,300 employees working on compliance and ethics, the company says.

The retail giant has not yet agreed to the settlement but is in the final stages of negotiation, according to reports. The company has already spent nearly $840 million on investigation and upgraded compliance operations.

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Walmart’s alleged bribes in Mexico to obtain permits to build stores has led US authorities to ask the company to pay $300 million in fines

This is a drop in the bucket from all the money Walmart gets for running FEMA Camps in closed down stores and underground railways connecting them all, for the Deep State! This is just legal money laundering.

1 hour ago, Aquaponicsman said:

This is a drop in the bucket from all the money Walmart gets for running FEMA Camps in closed down stores and underground railways connecting them all, for the Deep State! This is just legal money laundering.

Especially with the landing ports for alien spacecraft on the roof.

5 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Chapala cannot issue Jalisco license plates, as that is a state function and they are issued by the office of the SAT Recaudadora, on Degollado in Chapala.  Your friend may have been the victim of a scam and have not protection at all.  It would be interesting to see if she has a “Tarjeta de Circulacion“ in her name, and which describes the golf cart as the vehicle.  That document is issued with every set of license plates, along with a sticker to be displayed in the rear window of the vehicle.

I do not know the woman although I have seen her and her cart. A neighbor spoke with her asking about the legality and was told everything. I never said it was a Jalisco plate, I was never close enough to read it. 

Turn east out of Walmart, proceed to SL parking lot. Shop at SL, Paz and get lunch at any of the restaurants there. Exit the parking lot and you can make your left turn safely at the light. What's the problem?

Guest English Rose
On 11/14/2017 at 12:27 PM, barrbower said:

Just like in most other places, in Mexico it is mostly about revenue and very little about safety. Gringos in a car create more potential revenue than locals in a car.  Locals in a beat-up truck or on a moto offer even less potential revenue and therefore receive fewer traffic stops.  When you add in the family and friendly ties that local cops have with local drivers and the Mexican tendency to not be overly critical of friends, neighbors, or family...well you get the picture.  Don't look for things to change much with the new police in place.  If you get stopped, just take the ticket and don't offer a mordida.  That just makes it worse for the future.  You might be surprised how often the ticket is just more work for the cop and so it just won't get written.

If safety was really a concern, we all know what should happen.  Pretty much every time a motorcycle goes by, they are breaking laws and since they are most vulnerable they logically need to get the most tickets.  Speeding 4 wheelers with drunk teens driving on the back roads, especially on weekends, need to be given tickets every time they are seen.  Vehicles driving at night with no brake lights or other lights not working should be given tickets every time they are encountered.  People passing on curves or solid yellow lines, driving in the ciclopista, tailgating, not dimming their bright headlights, and driving home to Guad with a snootfull after spending all afternoon drinking in SJC should all receive tickets every single time.  But in the name of "safety" the police have other priorities.  We all know it and they know we know it so don't expect any miracles. 

Alan

Wow, why did you move here knowing you would be in such danger on the road?

I'd say Alan has described things pretty well after having driven and ridden motos for some years here.  "Only the paranoid survive" is the #1 rule for driving here.  Hone your defensive driving skills, never drive at night, assume the other guy will ignore the rules and get out of the way of the impatient and reckless.

Given the relative anarchy on the roads here as compared to NOB I continue to be impressed with how few accidents I see.

One of the benefits of living here is you have the option to locate your domicile where you have to use the car a lot less.  Cheap bus and airfares offer a real alternative to touring by car.  Great weather makes it easy to walk for those short errands.

Our routine driving has decreased by two thirds since moving here.  Not only does this save a lot of money the walking is great for your health.  

Archived