Chapala.com Webboard

Interjet error and rip-off

mudgirl

My 86 year old step-mom came to visit me from England 2 weeks ago. She flew British Airways to Mexico City, then Interjet to PV.

3 days ago she received an email from Interjet informing her that her return flight time had been changed and was now leaving at 1:30 PM today. As this was the original time and date she had booked for, we were confused (not to mention the "English" they had sent it in was a really bad translation). Nor would the supposedly new itinerary they had attached download or print. And the confirmation code was different than her original.

So I called them. The agent said that her 3 PM flight was now changed to 1:30 PM. I told him she had never booked the 3 PM flight, that I had her original itinerary right in front of me. He said, oh, okay. End of call.

Today I got her to the PV airport at 11:45, at which time they told her that she had 2 bookings on the 1:30 flight, one that had been on the now cancelled 3 PM flight. She told them she had never made 2 bookings, only the one for 1:30. They insisted that she had made 2, that it was impossible that Interjet had made a computer error and that there was nothing they would do about it. They didn't even offer to look into it.

She never would have made the 3 PM booking, as she was afraid that would not leave her enough time in Mexico City to catch her flight back to London, should anything go awry. And she never at any time received any email confirmation, receipt, or itinerary for a 3 PM flight from PV to Mexico City.

And when we arrived at the ticketing counter, we found that the 1:30 flight had been delayed until 2:45. She never received any email notification of that, either.

This woman, though she is 86 years old and has a little trouble walking, is totally with it mentally- she travels extensively internationally, is computer savvy, has booked scores of tickets online, checks her email and facebook accounts daily.  She was a career nurse, working her way up to chief administrator in London, received the Order of England (her title is Commander!), and served as a volunteer magistrate for 20 odd years.

Interjet's attitude at their main counter (not the ticketing counter) in PV when she told them she had NOT booked on the 3 PM flight AND the 1:30 flight was dismissive and rude. I would never fly with them, and she certainly won't again.

And she is more than ready to fight with them via email when she gets back to England. (I told her good luck, but she's a fighter of injustice, not to mention them docking her credit card for a flight she didn't book.)

Interjet still better than Volaris.

Volarisis always correct even when they're not. Further, they never make a computer error even when their computers are down and all of their flights are delayed up to seven hours.

Once they gave me a $100 USD voucher which could only be redeemed on the telephone where flights are about $75 higher than they are on-line.

I never say never, but I do anything I can to never fly on that airline again.

I frequently fly Interjet and have never experienced any sort of problem.  Most recently, I flew non-stop to Toronto on Nov 2 without a hitch and returned on Nov 12, equally without a hitch.  Service both in Mexico City and in Toronto--round trip--was excellent, the plane itself was pristine (and with 34" pitch, which meant being able to truly stretch my legs out), and airport personnel was kind and attentive to anything I needed.  Other recent flights have been round trip to Tijuana, one-way to Veracruz, and round trip to Oaxaca.

I'm sorry that your stepmother had these difficulties and I feel certain that Interjet will solve the double booking for her.  

8 minutes ago, More Liana said:

I frequently fly Interjet and have never experienced any sort of problem.  Most recently, I flew non-stop to Toronto on Nov 2 without a hitch and returned on Nov 12, equally without a hitch.  Service both in Mexico City and in Toronto--round trip--was excellent, the plane itself was pristine (and with 34" pitch, which meant being able to truly stretch my legs out), and airport personnel was kind and attentive to anything I needed.  Other recent flights have been round trip to Tijuana, one-way to Veracruz, and round trip to Oaxaca.

I'm sorry that your stepmother had these difficulties and I feel certain that Interjet will solve the double booking for her.  

Guess you've been lucky. Like the 1% of passengers who haven't had any problems with Air Canada.

Thanks for saying you're sorry this happened. Will let you know how your certainty that Interjet will solve the problem works out.

Spent 30+ years working for a major airline in the US. All airlines loose luggage, have mechanical issues, delayed/cancelled flights, agents who are PMSing or just having a bad day. I’m seriously sorry this happened to an 86 year old woman traveling alone. I hope Interjet makes it right, but I doubt it will happen. Airlines these days are more like Greyhound buses. The customer service of yesteryear is no longer.

It was also curious that when I phoned Interjet to clarify the confusing email, the agent I talked to had what sounded like a heavy East Indian accent, definitely not Spanish accent. I had to keep asking him to repeat what he was saying, I couldn't understand him. Even Mexico finds it cheaper now to source out to an Indian call center?

Archived