Chapala.com Webboard

Hey all you computer techies out there

Arjay

My Microsoft keyboard is acting crazy.

When I hit the letter c, it inserts a paragraph return.

Shift key is not working on left side of keyboard.  Control V for paste doesn't paste the material copied with the Control C function.

When these errors occur, a green light flashes on the lower corner of my keyboard.  I just put in new batteries, so I'm really baffled.  Please help.

You might have a stuck key. Sometimes the computer sees the down keystroke, but then somehow misses the release, so it thinks the key is still down. If that key was 'Ctrl' or 'Alt', you'll get some funny behavior. I just press down every key a few times, it usually works. But if dirt or liquid has gotten inside, you might need to open and clean it.

Pete

My keyboard went totally crazy as well. Screen even suddenly flipped upside down without me touching anything.Then keyboard wouldn't work at all anymore. Even onscreen keyboard was crazy.

I got my shop vac, used just the hose end with no attachments, and pressed down fairly hard all over the keyboard while vacuuming. Has been working perfectly ever since.

Definitely sounds like a cleaning problem. I used to get dog hair in my keyboard and mouse. A hand held vac would work or sometimes I would remove the keys one by one and pull out the hair. This was an older keyboard - not sure if the wireless work the same way.

A computer guru told me the first cleaning you should do on your keyboard is shake and tap it while holding it upside down. Then vacuum. 

It is truly amazing the amount of crap that gets into keyboards.

I recommend keeping a spared, wired keyboard at all times, because WiFi keyboards (and mice) can be iffy.

The symptoms you mention usually come from spills. Different keys are connected in string-like fashion under the membrane, and so it is not necessarily the keys beside each other that act up. If any key(s) are damaged from use, they will affect other keys in a similar manner.

I have a very old (in computer years) printer that stopped working.  I was ready to buy a new one when Benno's Computer shop behind Pemex/Lake Taco suggested I bring it in and have him look at it.

I took it in and in 4 hours and $200 pesos worth of cleaning, it's working again.

I bought a keyboard recently that says you can pour liquids on it and it will survive.  I haven't tried that but it does have holes in the bottom to let the liquid drain through.

I'm looking for one that is "dishwasher proof".  It might survive around here.  Haven't found one yet.

However, I think that there is a market for such keyboards............

Well, I cleaned and vacuumed my keyboard and tried restoring my computer to a previous date, all to no avail.

When I type "A quick brown fox jumps over the back of the lazy dog",  I get:

ic

k brown fox jumps over the bac

k of the lazy dog.

c

So every time I type a c it enters a paragraph return, or when I enter a paragraph return I get a c.

20 hours ago, Arjay said:

So if my keyboard is kaput, where can I buy a new English language keyboard in Ajijic?

I am having great luck with Amazon Mexico all of a sudden. Just ordered a Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo as construction dust destroyed the one that I had. It arrived in two days. 

When I moved here four months ago Amazon didn't seem to have anything I was looking for but now that they have opened the Guad warehouse, I'm pleased with selection, price, and shipping - most of the time. 

1 minute ago, TheBestSideOfTheWall said:

I am having great luck with Amazon Mexico all of a sudden. Just ordered a Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo as construction dust destroyed the one that I had. It arrived in two days. 

When I moved here four months ago Amazon didn't seem to have anything I was looking for but now that they have opened the Guad warehouse, I'm pleased with selection, price, and shipping - most of the time. 

Thanks for the tip - I was just looking at Amazon.com last night but will try .mx

1 minute ago, Arjay said:

Thanks for the tip - I was just looking at Amazon.com last night but will try .mx

It helps if you use a desktop computer or laptop with Google Translate if you don't have a command of the language.  It is nice to have the pages instantly translated so I can read the descriptions and specs.  I also do a lot of my searching by going to the department then looking for the translated item I need as opposed to doing a word search. For example, I wanted a bench to go at the end of the bed but had no clue what they call it here in Mexico. I went to the department Furniture, then Bedroom, then looked from there. 

16 minutes ago, TheBestSideOfTheWall said:

It helps if you use a desktop computer or laptop with Google Translate if you don't have a command of the language.  It is nice to have the pages instantly translated so I can read the descriptions and specs.  I also do a lot of my searching by going to the department then looking for the translated item I need as opposed to doing a word search. For example, I wanted a bench to go at the end of the bed but had no clue what they call it here in Mexico. I went to the department Furniture, then Bedroom, then looked from there. 

Good idea but I just realized I probably won't get an English language keyboard from .mx

I used to have a link to translate a whole page but I appear to have lost it - it just says Translating but nothing happens - do you have the website, please.

Just now, Arjay said:

Good idea but I just realized I probably won't get an English language keyboard from .mx

I used to have a link to translate a whole page but I appear to have lost it - it just says Translating but nothing happens - do you have the website, please.

Mine was in English. I just made sure it didn't say Spanish and looked closely at the model number compared to the one on the US site. Here is the one I got.

https://www.amazon.com.mx/gp/product/B003VANO7C/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i1?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003VANO7C&pd_rd_r=a4f93005-c99a-11e7-8a4a-f37621261a75&pd_rd_w=Ro6cv&pd_rd_wg=jtXcC&pf_rd_m=AVDBXBAVVSXLQ&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=ZC4H03ESDX4PQX3A3MZM&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=fe19d36a-3411-4bce-8ef7-fef09d37fff8&pf_rd_i=desktop

I'm typing on it now :)

13 minutes ago, TheBestSideOfTheWall said:

$849 pesos is a little expensive.  On .com I'm looking at the Logitech Wireless Combo Mk520 With Keyboard and Mouse Bundle for $26.99.  When I looked at shipping options, it told me it was used.  So back to the drawing board.

9 minutes ago, Arjay said:

$849 pesos is a little expensive.  On .com I'm looking at the Logitech Wireless Combo Mk520 With Keyboard and Mouse Bundle for $26.99.  When I looked at shipping options, it told me it was used.  So back to the drawing board.

There are cheaper options on Amazon. I just went with Logitech because I'm a brand junkie.  Also, the price is higher than what I paid now. In the US I used Camel to alert me when the prices on my wish list dropped. I haven't tried to find a Camel alternative here (or see if it works with the MX site.) 

As for used, mine was brand spanky new. I think what you did instead of look at shipping options is look at vender options.  There it will show you if you can get a refurbished or used. I have ordered used with cameras and Kindles and have never been disappointed. I always make sure the warranty is if new.  

5 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Go figure. Only in Mexico ;)

I always read reviews and questions as I'm also a research junkie.  The question was ask and it was included in a review that it did work with Windows 10.  Plus, Logitech is really good about releasing updated drivers. I have a little laptop mouse that is back from the Windows 98 days that still works with my new Laptop.  It is usually software that doesn't want to play nice after a few version releases.  

Amazon has an "Amazon essentials" keyboard for around $11. (USB corded).  I buy a couple at a time and they last about 2 years before I wear the letters off.

Kaliber Gaming makes a backlit keyboard for about $40 (Amazon US USB corded also).  They are full sized and heavy duty. I just bought one and it has a good feel and sound when typing.

Gaming keyboards are built to take a beating.

If you want a real keyboard look for one with mechanical switches.  The cheap ones just have a rubber piece with a contact on the backside and the rubber returns the keys.  Eventually the rubber wears out and weird things happen.  They are expensive but last.

Archived