Chapala.com Webboard

Solar electric is booming in Mexico

Mainecoons

I have had my solar system since early 2008. According to the Guad Reporter, I was # 3 lakeside. Yes panels were more expensive then, but I got a real big discount, in a backward sort of way. I had to sell quite a bit of stock on the stock market to get the money which was right before the economic crash. It was like getting a 40 to 50% discount. Because that is what the remaining stock fell by, that I did not sell.

The market prices have really dropped since then. If you are paying several thousand pesos per billing period and you are therefor on DAC (the high charge rate) and you own your house and plan to live here for a few years more, take your electric bill to your local Solar Dealer and let him tell you what the payback period will be. It will not be that long.

Go for it; you owe it to yourself to check out the facts.

Nothing.  Payback is a silly way of looking at investment in Solar.  Look at ROA (Return on Asset).    The amount you're NOT paying to CFE each month is your return, just like an investment in a savings account.  I used to pay $3500/mo.  That's the return on my investment every month.  Actually, rates have gone up so much since I installed my system it's likely more like $4500 Pesos per month return!  You can't get that kind of return anywhere else!

20 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Aren't the paybacks based on co-generation? What happens when the power is off to your house?

When CFE's power goes out in most solar houses. Everything goes out and the solar panels do not send power into your house or the power lines in your street.

However, should you have a battery backup system, when CFE cuts out, something that doesn't happen that much these days. your batteries and or your Solar panels generate and provide power to your home with or without CFE.

6 minutes ago, johanson said:

However, should you have a battery backup system, when CFE cuts out, something that doesn't happen that much these days. your batteries and or your Solar panels generate and provide power to your home with or without CFE.

I asked because the attractive payout mentioned does not include the cost of the batteries, additional controls, and maybe (?) a larger inverter.

10 minutes ago, El Saltos said:

No point in batteries IMHO.  NO additional controls or larger inverter required.  But why?  Our power goes out so seldom.  Batteries are for people that live off the grid.

Today, I would totally agree, El Saltos.. However living here between 1997 and 2007 when I ordered the system, the number and length of outages were such that it made sense,

Interesting write up Mainecoons. Thanks for posting. According to it, I need a one square meter solar panel to maintain my 5.5 kwh average daily consumption. I'm toying with the idea since the price of electricity ain't going nowhere but up. I believe that you mentioned you had linkable panels?... i.e. panels that can easily be added on to? I don't mind my little portable propane heater but it would be so cozy to have an electric "fireplace" in the bedroom so I didn't wake up cold in the mornings since I won't sleep with the propane heater going.

2 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Aren't the paybacks based on co-generation? What happens when the power is off to your house?

CFE pays pack at a very low rate per unit generated, we opted to bank our production for credit, it is credited to our account at the same rate we are charged for power. No cash in hand return, but full credit. No battery back up, no power. 

9 hours ago, Ferret said:

Interesting write up Mainecoons. Thanks for posting. According to it, I need a one square meter solar panel to maintain my 5.5 kwh average daily consumption. I'm toying with the idea since the price of electricity ain't going nowhere but up. I believe that you mentioned you had linkable panels?... i.e. panels that can easily be added on to? I don't mind my little portable propane heater but it would be so cozy to have an electric "fireplace" in the bedroom so I didn't wake up cold in the mornings since I won't sleep with the propane heater going.

Each set of two panels of ours has their own micro inverter so panels can be added in sets of two.  We opted for this feature not for expansion but because some of our panels are in shadow until about 10 AM and this allows the rest to function.  You can opt for a single inverter that is sized to allow some future expansion.

Our first set of microinverters did not handle the "dirty" CFE power well and they were replaced under warranty.  The second set is functioning perfectly and is even more efficient.  Most months we make over 700 kWh.

When installing these, remember they will require some cleaning during the dusty seasons.  Design for maintenance.  We added a walk way giving access to our 12 panels on the roof of our garage.  Six more are mounted over a room.  

We went solar in August on a home we bought in April.  Based on former owner's CFE bills we could have gotten by with 6 panels, but opted for 8 so we can install a/c splits for the BR's if desired and run some supplemental heat in winter, if needed. 

The company that did our system (STI, Solar Technology Inc) was very helpful in designing the panel layout for optimum performance and so that they would not interfere with a planned mirador, nor cast any shadows over existing skylights (in a few of our rooms, skylights are the sole source of natural light).  6 are over the garage and 2 on the house roof. 

Only have 2 full months of data: In Sept. we generated 331 kWh and in Oct. 379 kWh.  

You must have a newer generation of panel, you're getting from 8 panels about what we get from 9.

STI is excellent.  Their real forte is big commercial systems.  I don't know why they fool with these relatively little house jobs but I'm glad they did as their engineering expertise and willingness to stand behind what they install is excellent.  We are very satisfied customers.

Archived