Chapala.com Webboard

La Valentia Assisted Living Home

Guiness

I am looking for info on La Valentina Assisted Living Home in West Ajijic.  My parents are both in their 80's - both with Parkinsons. I am looking to bring them down here to have them close to me.   I am also looking at Mi Casita in San Antonio.   I would appreciate all comments that come from direct knowledge about both places. Thanks everybody for your help.

9 minutes ago, johanson said:

Gosh Only PMs. That doesn't sound very good.

Yes, there are many others on this webboard that would like this information as well, either for ourselves or for friends that are interested in assisted living.  Would you please post some of your thoughts on these places, so that others can make informed decisions as well?

I have no dog in the fight nor am I interested in Assisted Living facilities. You are free to draw whatever conclusions you wish when folks choose to reply via PM but to try and force them to post publically is bad form. If they wanted to they would have. Saying "I want info too" is not the best way to get it. Why not PM that person and ask for it? If you don't have a reputation of then blabbing it to everyone the person replying may well give you the same info, no?

Hi, all. The reason I  PM-ed to the poster was  to say some things I didn't want to go public with. And I had recommendation.

However, you're right. Having good words to say should be posted right here. I have a very positive recommendation and I am more than glad to give details. I  suggest looking at   Casa Nostra in  Riberas. It  has a section for assisted living as well as a facility for patients with more serious needs.

A  while ago my husband became a resident in the assisted living section of Casa Nostra. He was there three months (while I looked for another rental on one level).  He had his own   attractive and modern sitting room/bedroom, bath room and small kitchen  (but not used for cooking).  The grounds were beautiful and had a lovely  shared patio right outside his door. He was very well cared for.

We've had friends who stayed there and one who is there now. They  spoke/speak well of it.

The director is Delia Villanueva. 765 3824. Sta. Margarita #8, Riberas.  You can tour the facility.

Lexy

PS--I think  Pappysmarket is right: Often when someone says I pm-ed you it is  because negative comments are about to be said and we're not  supposed to be negative. I did have some negatives, but also a positive, as above.

I in fact think negative experiences  are also helpful posted for all to see,  but it's hard to say if the poster is reasonable or wacky. I'd like to make that assessment of the poster myself frankly..

On 11/9/2017 at 11:19 AM, Guiness said:

I am looking for info on La Valentina Assisted Living Home in West Ajijic.  My parents are both in their 80's - both with Parkinsons. I am looking to bring them down here to have them close to me.   I am also looking at Mi Casita in San Antonio.   I would appreciate all comments that come from direct knowledge about both places. Thanks everybody for your help.

While my experience re: Mi Casita is not totally personal, a good friend of mine (currently out of the country) had a friend who was in Mi Casita for a long period of time (before passing). She LOVED it there..... and  my friend often commented she would like to live there herself! Also,  while your parents are still able (if they are), the location so close to the plaza in San Antonio is a huge plus as far as giving them an outlet , if for no other reason, than to walk down to the plaza and "people-watch".

I guess one of non libelous observations..their location . One is way out on the west side and has a very long drive, the other " is in town" , so if ease of visit is a consideration the one in SAT comes out first

With the observation of Mexican libel laws, a big red herring ...the same laws apply NOB...regardless of the locations be prepared to backup your statements or experience

As a general observation "all" the homes provide TLC. They also have different levels of "qualified" staff. 

Good luck with you choice, try to check out the 6/8 other facilities 

Recently I visited a "nursing " home and when I asked how do patients with walking difficulties get to the 2 floor, "we have a lift"....a more accurate description would be a builders contraption for moving materials!!

Sadly my experiences is more to do with the patients family who "dump" relatives   here, out of sight, out of mind.

So if this is libelous........

Location is very important, especially for family that wants to visit a resident daily.

My husband went from a hospital stay in Guadalajara directly to an assisted living place Lakeside for two months. I had looked at it, it seemed fine,  liked the nurse/director, but not for long.  The move to  Casa Nostra was a good one. It was a big change for the better.

Yarboro is doing the right thing in asking for recommendations about two places. But I'd suggest he/she check out the nursing homes nearest to him/her and then go see it, ask others about their experiences, etc. And check out if the  place has  its proper licensing.

Lexy

I don’t think it is libelous if you just post the experience you had and do not add accusations or draw conclusions. You can say, “We had my mother there for three months. We moved her to another facility after she developed bed sores.” That is simply stating a fact and makes no accusations. If you say, “My mother stayed there for three months but the care was horrible. They left her in bed all day and didn’t turn her enough so she developed bed sores” you are making accusations you could  be asked to prove. The facility could say the patient had very thin skin and poor circulation which is what caused the bed sores. They might even be correct. 

Archived