Chapala.com Webboard

Sprinkler water stains on patio windows - HELP !!

Arjay

Just returned from 6 months to find water spots on four floor to ceiling glass patio doors.  Tried Windex and White Vinegar and it doesn't make any difference.  It seems the sprinklers were watering our windows for 4-6 weeks and the marks are probably etched into the glass.

Does anyone know if  there is a company in Ajijic that may be able to remove such stains?  Failing that, it appears we may have to have them re-glazed, so we need a recommendation for a reliable company to do that.  From a cost point of view, would it make any sense to get new doors instead of having them re-glazed?

Any knowledgeable info much appreciated.

Muriatic acid does the trick. Same stuff that is used to clean mineral deposits

from glazed swimming pool  and fountain tiles. Available at Ferromteriales Lopez,

the hardware store next door (west of) El Barco. 50 pesos for a gallon jug.

Wear rubber gloves and don't inhale the fumes, goes without saying, when using this product.

Vinegar was sufficient in our case. Muriatic acid is much stronger, but might be good if your stains are more severe. I have heard of people getting good results with 'Barkeeper's friend', available at WM. I would try the cream rather than the powder, for fear it might scratch.

Good luck,

Pete

I used to have the same problem in La Huerta and tried muriatic acid and vinegar and, and. Finally hauled out the Pears Soap and a green scrubbie and it worked. Since Pears soap is almost a pure glycerin bar soap, Bezerk may very well be onto something.

Definitely Saul the window cleaner.  He is very good and reliable ... Comes when he says he will.  If you can't get him for some reason, Vi Lu Ma glass company in Ajijic also can clean them.  They're not as reliable about showing up but do a good job when they do.  No need for reglazing.

On 11/8/2017 at 3:02 PM, Arjay said:

Does anyone know if  there is a company in Ajijic that may be able to remove such stains?  Failing that, it appears we may have to have them re-glazed, so we need a recommendation for a reliable company to do that.  From a cost point of view, would it make any sense to get new doors instead of having them re-glazed?

Sorry, what does glazing have to do with cleaning? Is it the seals that are stained or the glass?

On 11/11/2017 at 10:14 PM, Wookie said:

We didn't do them ourselves.  ViLaMa did a couple of our windows along with other projects.  Saul usually cleans our windows and shower doors.  We have used him every year and will do so again.  

Well, you had more success with Saul than I did.  I've left 2 messages and got no reply.

On 11/10/2017 at 12:43 AM, ComputerGuy said:

Sorry, what does glazing have to do with cleaning? Is it the seals that are stained or the glass?

What I'm suggesting is that if the stains cannot be removed from the glass (not the seals), then perhaps the glass will have to be removed and the panes replaced, which is re-glazing.

Have you ever try the following medhod?

1) Prepare water solution (water and citric acid).
2) Spray the solution onto the surface.
3) Cover with cling wrap and soak and leave it for about one hour.
3) Put rubber or plastic gloves and rub the area with (sodium) bicarbonate.

It works!

On 11/8/2017 at 3:02 PM, Arjay said:

Just returned from 6 months to find water spots on four floor to ceiling glass patio doors.  Tried Windex and White Vinegar and it doesn't make any difference.  It seems the sprinklers were watering our windows for 4-6 weeks and the marks are probably etched into the glass.

Any knowledgeable info much appreciated.

I have/had the same problem on my car windshield.  I took the car to Juniors Body Shop in Riberas - opposite Mascaras Clinic.  They "buffed" the windshield and it is almost as good as new.  The car is 30 yrs. old!

For the right price, I suspect they would bring their buffer to your place.

The care care products which remove road films/oil films on windshield screen might help. The nature of stains are different;

one is built up with road grim and other is from minerals in the water.  Give it a try what I mentioned earlier, you will be surprised.

Archived