Chapala.com Webboard

Simon

Simon

Just arrived at our destination and the Internet leaves a lot to be desired. Owner says she pays for 10 download. We are getting 2 on wifi. Thought I could better with an ethernet cable but no improvement. the modem model number is Infinitum mcq64. We are in Hamacas on the corner of Calle Arroyo Hondo and De Los Angeles. i am quite computer savvy and I have a number to call Telmex and talk to an English speaking person but wondered if anyone here has any input before I do. is this modem antiquated etc

We have been told by clerks at Telmex that the speed you can receive here depends on your location, and that even if someone pays for the 599 pesos plan, they won't get a better speed than someone who pays for the 389 peso plan.  It depends on what is available in your neighborhood. Your home owner may think because she pays for the more expensive plan she will get better speed but its not necessarily so.  For that reason we downgraded to the cheapest plan and we still happen to get 10 on download because that's what is available where we live.

Never heard of that model #. Does it have a name associated with it? Not familiar with your street names. Is this the Mirasol area? It is doubtful that any modem is old enough these days to cause a problem.

Different areas at lakeside get different speeds. Some, not so great. Mirasol area, many get 5 mbps down. You would be best to call that number. I deal with them all the time. While they have their own assorted pile of excuses, they generally know which areas are capable of which speeds.

18 minutes ago, Simon said:

Just arrived at our destination and the Internet leaves a lot to be desired. Owner says she pays for 10 download. We are getting 2 on wifi. 

In a very polite way you have summed up the feelings of MANY. The owner may well not realize it but she pays for UP TO 10 download, not that it is guaranteed, promised or as CG pointed out, even POSSIBLE in your particular location. Hope you brought Kindles.

Sorry Computer Guy but the model is HG658d. I tried to edit my post earlier. We are located south of the Chula Vista Golf course, south of Mex 23. I believe the area is San Antonio. Riberas is not far from here who get decent internet. I tried phoning Telmex. Owner gave us a 1 800 number she said would get us an English speaking techie but all I get is spanish which I do not understand. It was just a recorded message not a person. Owner also says she will bring a stick here on thursday thats gives better Internet. She does not speak very good english so I have no idea what she is bringing but if it is what I think it is they are no better and you get charged terribly for any downloading. My experience Ethernet is better than wifi. We were getting 2 DL on both. This morning the Ethernet went offline and when I unhooked the cable the wifi worked. never seen anything like it

Not too strange as generally wifi, at the speeds that are being talked about, will give the same speed as a direct Ethernet cable.... assuming that the computer using wifi is not a long distance through several dense walls from the modem. IMO, you willl be best served, even though you seem to be computer literate, to have Computer Guy come to your casa and size things up. Could be that you have ‘bad’ wiring from the demark point to where your modem sits... this is not uncommon here.

23 minutes ago, Simon said:

Anyone know the generic password to access http://192.168.1.254/

Yes. TELMEX and the WEP code stamped on your modem. the other suggestions here are all good.

That 01-800 number starts with recorded announcements, but keep pushing "1" and eventually you will recognize the voice of a live person. Simply tell that person you would like "English, por favor".

37 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Before you go any further with your enquiries, try asking your neighbours what kind of speeds they are getting. If you're all getting the same crappy 2 mb/sec then it's probably your development.

Or the owner could be the new kid on the block.  Sometimes new hook-ups can be limited to a lower speed.  

All your suggestions have been great thanks you. I did get to speak to someone who put out a service request that he says will be attended to within 72 hours. If they need access to the house they will call. He said he tested the line into the house and it was fine. He also said we should be getting 10 download all the time. We will see what happens. I have been following this forum for about a year because this internet problem can be a deal breaker for me. We just arrived and will be here for 4 months so I hope something can be done. I know from this forum a lot of you will be skeptical but let's see what happens. I will report back and when I get some news and will talk to some of the neighbors here. By the way the owner here assured us they had great Internet.

Telmex can use your phone number to look up your service and tell you how much you can get.  My neighbors get more than 5, but my house gets no more than 2 and usually only 1.5 or 1.7.  They also told me that the newer lines do not get as good a speed as the older lines in my area and that there was nothing I could do about it.  I also talked to Mexico City and got the same answer.

What a hilarious and bone-headed thing for TelMex to say. I know they have a suitcase full of reasonable-sounding excuses (and excuses they are, not reasons), but that one takes the cake.

"Hey, I have an idea: let's go out and replace some phone lines with even crappier versions, because see, we have this huge budget and nothing better to do...!"

• 2 weeks later...

I said I would let you know if and when anything happened. We had two phone calls that were prerecorded in Spanish which we did not understand a couple of days later but no-one came near the house at all and nothing changed. The owner did offer to take me to their office so that I could talk to them but i thought that would be futile so I declined.

I am actually quite surprised that streaming works for the most part with download speed no better than 2.5 (not 25)

If you login to the modem using the address and credentials mentioned above, you should be able to access the 'WAN' section. Look for the 'DSL' specs. That should tell you what is the max speed subscribed for, as well as the current negotiated speed. Other important numbers to look for are the signal to noise and power levels. Most likely you will see the 10Mb in the max rate, and whatever you are getting now in the current rate.

With Telmex, the speed really is dependent on the length and quality of the lines from their server to your house. Check with you neighbors. If they all get the same rate, there's not a lot you can do. If it's only you then checking the house's wiring might bring some improvement.

Pete

33 minutes ago, peteben said:

If you login to the modem using the address and credentials mentioned above, you should be able to access the 'WAN' section. Look for the 'DSL' specs. That should tell you what is the max speed subscribed for, as well as the current negotiated speed. Other important numbers to look for are the signal to noise and power levels. Most likely you will see the 10Mb in the max rate, and whatever you are getting now in the current rate.

With Telmex, the speed really is dependent on the length and quality of the lines from their server to your house. Check with you neighbors. If they all get the same rate, there's not a lot you can do. If it's only you then checking the house's wiring might bring some improvement.

Pete

Pete, I've been following this thread so decided to investigate my own modem. I can log into the modem but once I'm in and try to enter the WAN section I seem to get into an endless loop. I get a page with a set of prefilled sign in criteria for something called ppoe but when I click the action button, it just brings me back to the same page. Any insights? Or am I just in the wrong place.

Archived