Chapala.com Webboard

Telmex Internet

pappysmarket

Just a FWIW posting. A resident here in Puerto Vallarta just posted that they contacted Telmex Friday to get internet and it was installed yesterday. Now the interesting part that I was not aware of and could be just peculiar to this area: The 10 Mb package with phone is $389/ Mo. but they were offered a plan for $349 with no phone which they took and say it works great. The other thing is they were charged a hook-up fee of $1310 which they were told has been in effect since January and no way to get around it.

YMMV

I think it's the Mexican Model..................................

But Slim didn't get filthy rich being dumb. I must be missing something, I usually do................

Yes - if an internet connection is at all important to you it is best to look for a place with an existing installation. There are areas where no lines are available and/or don't have great connections. I would suggest you make that part of your "checklist". Good luck and welcome to lakeside.

Another thing to consider when looking for a place to live - many landlords include WiFi  in the rent but it most likely will  be a shared connection.  These don't always work very well and  you don't know how far away the unit is from the modem.  So, in my opinion, it is more important to rent a place with a phone hookup already installed so you can contract for your own internet.  But in any event, good questions to ask when looking. 

For example, I looked at a garden apartment in Chapala that advertised free WiFi but asked the owner about the signal strength and she admitted it was lousy.  It was shared between all 4 units.  But the unit also had its own phone line, so it would have been possible to get a private connection. 

• 2 months later...

Archived