Chapala.com Webboard

Shaw receiver wanted

roxelle44

3 minutes ago, El Saltos said:

They violate Shaw's Terms of Service.  When Shaw discovers them all the receivers on the account are disabled and no longer useable, ever.  It's happened here before and will undoubtedly happen again.  It's easy to have your own account and avoid any such risk.

Yeah, but it's cheaper to share!  :lol::lol:

20 minutes ago, Floradude said:

How is it easy to get an account if your are not a Canadian with an address in Canada?

I have been in a group for 14 years and no-one has ever had any problem.  I am willing to get my own system if there is a legal way; not just another gimic.

Call https://www.cp-electronics.com/eng/products.php?cat=22

to obtain your own account on your billing...

28 minutes ago, Floradude said:

How is it easy to get an account if your are not a Canadian with an address in Canada?

I have been in a group for 14 years and no-one has ever had any problem.  I am willing to get my own system if there is a legal way; not just another gimic.

Alpha1's advice comes as close as possible to being "legal". As CG has pointed out, using Shaw anywhere outside of Canada violates their terms of service and results in your equipment being permanently disabled. Having someone in your "group" innocently calling Shaw and asking for assistance with a problem is often how they discover you are not in Canada and they shut down (permanently disable) all the receivers in your "stacking group". If you have your own account you would have only yourself to blame but yes, then you have to pay the full amount yourself and don't save money by being just one piece of the puzzle. Come see, come saw.

3 hours ago, Floradude said:

Call Michael or Mario at Ajijic Electronics.

Remember that it is not illegal in Mexico to watch TV via satellite from another country. Shaw Direct enjoys the added income, especially if you have your own private account and are not sharing (stacking).  However the CRTC says it is not legal for Shaw Direct to knowingly sell programming meant for another country. In about 2004 or 2005, I was visiting in Guatemala, and a local bar had a new active Star Choice (now owned by Shaw Direct) receiver and asked if I could help them point their dish. I said sure. I phoned up Star Choice, told them where I was in Central America and they gave me the elevation, direction, and slant I needed to be correctly pointed at their satellite(s).  They were happy to help and gave me the information needed. Then in about 2010 or so, the CRTC (like US FCC) cracked down and said no more help outside the country.

Now when one goes south for the Winter, he can phone up and tell them to turn their system off while they are gone, or they can secretly tell them nothing and continue to watch the programming in say Florida, Mexico or northern Central America during their winter visit

Many people do the same with signals from US Dish and US DirecTV, in both Canada, and Mexico

Archived