Chapala.com Webboard

Chedraui

luvsdawgs

All these stores are only as good as the manager that's running them. I LOVE the Mega in front of the Liverpool store at the Gallerias Mall. I LOVED the Mega in Bucerias... but didn't with the first manager they had. The Walmart here used to be not so bad but, the latest manager has driven it into the ground. YMMV.

The Mega in San Miguel IS a good one... and the Chedraui in Queretaro sucks.

The Bucerias and Nuevo Vallarta Chedraui are substandard at best. In six months or so, when the huge Soriana Gourmet opens right across the street from the great Mega at Flamingos, the food wars will truly begin! Mega is already prepping, covering the entire parking lot, rearranging the produce section so you can actually navigate it with ease, many more organic products, including orange cauliflower and black radishes.....Wine section is three times bigger, cheese section now includes some I've never even heard of, and more improvements are on the way. I took in an empty Bisquick box (a Superlake splurge for dumplings) and the manager told me gringas were always asking for it and now he could see it IS different from flour! Promised to get it too! And their Oriental section in new and huge, many kinds of seaweed, pickled ginger, even miso....which is, strangely enough, in with the sour cream, but it does require refrigeration, so.......

Can't wait to see what Soriana will bring! Twenty years ago when I came here we made shopping pilgrimages to Guad. Y'all may start heading this way~

Great info Camilla! I had given up on Mega in Bucerias because of exactly what you said, impossible to navigate. Also agree Chedraui are substandard. Time to give that Mega another look since 15 years ago I thought it was amazing. I wonder if the Soriana will be anything like HEB's Central Market. That would be awesome.

Pappy are we talking about the same Mega in Bucerias? The one I'm talking about hasn't even been open for 15 years.

I do agree that competition usually kicks up the quality of those who thought they had a captive audience... except that didn't happen to the Sam's there when Costco opened. Sigh.

Ferret, Sam's wouldn't ever have known "quality" if it bit them on the ol' hoo-hoo, but you already knew that. Wasn't it a great day when Costco opened? Every time I would drive back to Houston I would stop at Costco on the way back (O! the horror of I-10!) just to put a "Please come to PV! notice in their suggestion box......I don't take full credit, but am thankful every time I use a piece of disposable paper......

And love your monarch photo!

7 hours ago, Ferret said:

All these stores are only as good as the manager that's running them.

All these different chain stores are as good as the corporation that owns them is, The products and services they offer have nothing to do with individual mangers. The automated re-ordering is done by corprate offices when ítems scanned are take out of the stores inventory and re-ordering then occurs. The products they sell and pricing is also corporate controlled. To think mangers can screw up a  whole store is not likely except they mght screw up by hiring and keeping incompetent empoyees.

@AlanMexicali That sounds so logical if only it were really true. If it were true, ALL Walmarts, all Chedrauis, all Costcos, all Megas etc. etc. would be carbon copies of what works well. They are not.

@camillenparadise Thanks. The photo is of my hand at the El Rosario Reserve in '98. I was covered in butterflies.

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

@AlanMexicali That sounds so logical if only it were really true. If it were true, ALL Walmarts, all Chedrauis, all Costcos, all Megas etc. etc. would be carbon copies of what works well. They are not.

In your post you mention several different chain superstores and to compare as you state "all" stores are as good as the manager is not true as each chain is somewhat different in some of their products than in  some other chain superstores. The large Chedrauis in middle class areas have nice different ítems along with the regular ítems other chain stores do not making it a better store in product selection etc.

1 hour ago, AlanMexicali said:

All these different chain stores are as good as the corporation that owns them is, The products and services they offer have nothing to do with individual mangers. The automated re-ordering is done by corprate offices when ítems scanned are take out of the stores inventory and re-ordering then occurs. The products they sell and pricing is also corporate controlled. To think mangers can screw up a  whole store is not likely except they mght screw up by hiring and keeping incompetent empoyees.

7 hours ago, Ferret said:

All these stores are only as good as the manager that's running them. I LOVE the Mega in front of the Liverpool store at the Gallerias Mall. I LOVED the Mega in Bucerias... but didn't with the first manager they had. The Walmart here used to be not so bad but, the latest manager has driven it into the ground. YMMV.

The Mega in San Miguel IS a good one... and the Chedraui in Queretaro sucks.

I was pointing out you were comparing different chain superstores not individual stores within one chain of superstores. If a certain store doesn´t match you expectations it probably isn´t because of the corporate model they use but possibly a few little annoyances you percieve there. These superstore chains often omit some products and sell some different products in lower class areas than they do in middle class áreas. Possibly this is what your are referring to. After all they won´t sell too many $400.00 peso bottles of wine in a lower class área store for example.

52 minutes ago, camillenparadise said:

Come visit the Bucerias Chedraui and you will see why there are so few cars in the parking lot. Limp produce is not going to be a loss leader anywhere but a remote village store.  

............And that's the name of that tune!

10 hours ago, camillenparadise said:

Come visit the Bucerias Chedraui and you will see why there are so few cars in the parking lot. Limp produce is not going to be a loss leader anywhere but a remote village store.  

Not selling limp produce is a prerequisite to shopping in a store with 65,000 other standard products available?  Also judging a store because of lack of vehicles in the parking lot means what? Seems a bit overboard to me. There are thousands of people that snowbird in Bucerias with no vehicle and many locals walk everywhere or take taxis that have no vehicles.

There are a dozen  "frutarias" close by to get produce.

The new Chedraui is the only large supermarket in town and Mega is a $70.00 peso taxi ride away. Makes sense if you have no vehicle to shop locally.

I was in this supermarket 2X since March.

Archived