Chapala.com Webboard

Porting can be taken several ways. If you have a VoIP phone like Vonage or Ooma and you want to give up your US AT&T landline but keep your US number on your internet phone, you can do so and in my case, people can still phone me on what they believe is my Seattle home number yet it rings only here in Mexico or wherever I happen to be with my internet Ooma phone. And they think they are talking to me in Seattle.

Now can I take my Telmex # with me? That gets more complicated; at one time I owned two homes in Ajijic waiting for one of them to sell. I was able to port my # or take the number from my first home and move it to my second home. My old home was given the new number that I had in the new house that I never used.

Mexican Cell Phone; I only know that I have had a Mexican Telcel phone number for maybe 10 or 12 years and I have ported or moved that number from cell phone to cell phone maybe 5 times. Now can I do so when changing carriers? I do not knw.

Pete, I think that the ‘true’ definition of Porting is from carrier to carrier.... not from phone to phone. 

RichD has answered the question... at least as far as it relates to cellphones. Anyone ported, say, from Telmex to TelCel or vis a versa?

19 minutes ago, RickS said:

Pete, I think that the ‘true’ definition of Porting is from carrier to carrier.... not from phone to phone. 

RichD has answered the question... at least as far as it relates to cellphones. Anyone ported, say, from Telmex to TelCel or vis a versa?

You could be right RickS.  I just know that I am paying $40 dollars per month to AT&T for a Seattle telephone and number that rings in my Seattle Condo whether I am here in Mexico, or up north.  I also have an Ooma internet phone with it's own unique telephone number.

The Ooma instruction manual says that I can port a second number to my Ooma internet phone (yes two different numbers will go to the same box).  It is suggested if I no longer want to pay AT&T for this Seattle, line, that I can port the telephone number to my internet phone and deactivate/cancel the $40 dollar landline.

So now I can go anywhere there is internet and connect my internet phone to the internet and when someone calls either my internet phone # or what was my other # which was a Seattle land line,  my Ooma internet phone will ring.

Archived