Chapala.com Webboard

Enhanced Menu @ La Mision

Our new enhanced menu was introduced yesterday. We have added the following: Oysters Rockefeller, Stuffed Mushroom Caps, Rack of Lamb, Sirloin Beef Burger, Chicken Burger, with more additions to follow next week. We have kept over 90% of the existing menu with no increase in prices and we believe you will be very happy with what Chef Julian has done. 

We will be adding IMPORTED COWBOY  STEAK Wow what a beautiful delicious Steak, Chef Julina brought it back yesterday and can't wait to try it, only problem at my age don't know if I will be able to eat it all. Oh well I can take it home as I love Steak and Eggs for breakfast.

He is also adding Lobster Tail,  (by reservation only) and I believe for Friday and Saturday nights, plus  one more appetizer Escargot.

Should all be in place next week Julian wants some special plating for the Escargot so we will get them this coming Monday

Plus he is not finished yet. Will keep you up to date and as always we could not do it without you and your kind support.

Don't think the tails will be Australian . I just went online to buy some and they are $45 US for a 8oz tail , or about $850 pesos . After restaurant mark up , I don't think too many folks will pay over $ 1000 for real Australian cold water tails  . However , I would !

But Maine and Nova Scotia prices for lobster has plunged in the last three years, because the warming of the oceans has caused an over-abundance of lobsters. I am not sure why retail/wholesale prices are not reflecting that, other than greed on the distributors' part. Don't know much about Aussie lobster, though.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

But Maine and Nova Scotia prices for lobster has plunged in the last three years, because the warming of the oceans has caused an over-abundance of lobsters. I am not sure why retail/wholesale prices are not reflecting that, other than greed on the distributors' part. Don't know much about Aussie lobster, though.

The last good one I had was a nice restaurant on the wharf in San Pedro, CA.......years ago.  I went to one restaurant in coastal Mexico advertising "lobster" and was served langostini.  Thud. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't what I was wanting.:(

Big difference in price for a cold water tail and a warm water tail . My uncle was a seafood  wholesaler in Chicago and sold to restaurants and hotels . Price difference between a Maine , warm water tail and a Australian cold water tail was about $ 15 per pound . Here is a photo of a real Australia cold water lobster . Huge difference in the color and texture of the meat .

southern-rock-lobster-jasus-edwardsii-southeastern-tasmania-australia-awyhe8.jpg

1 hour ago, gcaschetta said:

Big difference in price for a cold water tail and a warm water tail . My uncle was a seafood  wholesaler in Chicago and sold to restaurants and hotels . Price difference between a Maine , warm water tail and a Australian cold water tail was about $ 15 per pound . Here is a photo of a real Australia cold water lobster . Huge difference in the color and texture of the meat .

southern-rock-lobster-jasus-edwardsii-southeastern-tasmania-australia-awyhe8.jpg

That's a gorgeous picture:  looks more like a bejeweled object than anything else.

On 11/11/2017 at 4:32 PM, gringal said:

I went to one restaurant in coastal Mexico advertising "lobster" and was served langostini.  Thud. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't what I was wanting.:(

Langostino are not much larger than large shrimp.  In Mexico one is usually served warm-water "lobster" which is actually a crayfish.

46 minutes ago, El Saltos said:

Langostino are not much larger than large shrimp.  In Mexico one is usually served warm-water "lobster" which is actually a crayfish.

This is why I am requesting information about what they are serving (and the price) on the new menu at La Mision.

17 hours ago, gringal said:

This is why I am requesting information about what they are serving (and the price) on the new menu at La Mision.

Gringal it is not a "new menu" these are enhancements ie new additions to our regular menu. I am as anxious to find out what Chef Julian has learned and what he recommends as you all are. I should know more today as he went to Guad early this morning. He has some info already but we want to be able to offer the best Lobster Tail possible and at a price that you all will be happy with.

Thanking you all for your patience.

Buenos Dias: Today Chef Julian will be adding Escargot to our menu and starting next Friday and Saturday ie the 24th & 25th then every Friday and Saturday thereafter Lobster Tail. After weighing all the possible options and based on his experience of 6 years as a Chef @ # 4 he will be offering the same Lobster tail they did. It is a full Cuban Lobster Tail, and provides the texture, flavor and cost that proved very popular with their patrons. The Lobster Tail Dinner will be $450 pesos. We look forward to serving you a Lobster Tail dinner that pleases both your pallet and pocket book.

As  always thanking you for your kind support.  

17 minutes ago, La Mision said:

Buenos Dias: Today Chef Julian will be adding Escargot to our menu and starting next Friday and Saturday ie the 24th & 25th then every Friday and Saturday thereafter Lobster Tail. After weighing all the possible options and based on his experience of 6 years as a Chef @ # 4 he will be offering the same Lobster tail they did. It is a full Cuban Lobster Tail, and provides the texture, flavor and cost that proved very popular with their patrons. The Lobster Tail Dinner will be $450 pesos. We look forward to serving you a Lobster Tail dinner that pleases both your pallet and pocket book.

As  always thanking you for your kind support.  

Thanks for your reply.  I just looked up "Cuban Lobster Tail" and read the reviews.  (Never had the dish at #4, so can't compare.)  It seems to be very different from the lobsters served in U.S. restaurants. In the pictures,  it looks much smaller, compared to the other items on the plate. 

It is a Flash frozen Cuban lobster from the Carribean. The weight is 360 grams. I have eaten quite a few Jamaican lobster in my day and enjoyed them very much. Having served in the Royal Canadian Mounted Police I had the opportunity to enjoy many a New Brunswick Lobster, which is just like Maine Lobster. 

Again all things considered we believe Chef Julian has made the right decision and as always... you will be the judge.

Archived