Chapala.com Webboard

Need to get a hitch for a 2008 Honda CRV

ea93105

Just wondering what options there are if any of getting a hitch from the US to down here. Obviously its large a weighs about 30 lbs

I would also be interested in buying or renting a hitch if someone doesn't have a use for theirs...

Thanks !

Eric

52 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Also MercadoLibre, search for:

enganche de remolque honda crv

Thanks, I found some there but $100 more than a top quality Draw Tite hitch ? 

Funny how things like this are so expensive here...

I will be towing about 1500 lbs in a 5x10 trailer.

So if anyone has a friend driving down and would like some gas money to bring one down..please let me know

Otherwise I guess I will go with the Mexican model.

A CRV is not a very good choice as a trailer towing vehicle.

Doesn't sound like you are doing the math correctly.  When the manufacturer states 1500 lbs. that means the "gross weight rating".  This includes the weight of the trailer AND contents.  A typical 5' x 10'' cargo trailer weighs in around 1000 lbs. or more depending on the equipment so you would only be able to haul up to 500 lbs. of cargo before you are at the limit.  There should be a label on the tongue with the weights of the trailer.  Also, the tongue weight needs to be about 10% of the gross weight if it is a single axle trailer to prevent sway.  Adding a static weight of 150 Lbs on the back of a CRV might make for some interesting handling.

I haul a 5'x10' with a RWD Ford Explorer V8 and I ocassionally  challenge the package. I've already burned out one tranny.   The biggest concern is cooling.  Transmission fluid temps can increase drastically when towing.  If you do not have an external oil cooler you will really be pushing your luck, especially if you encounter any long uphill grades.  Good luck!

14 hours ago, Ezzie said:

A CRV is not a very good choice as a trailer towing vehicle.

Doesn't sound like you are doing the math correctly.  When the manufacturer states 1500 lbs. that means the "gross weight rating".  This includes the weight of the trailer AND contents.  A typical 5' x 10'' cargo trailer weighs in around 1000 lbs. or more depending on the equipment so you would only be able to haul up to 500 lbs. of cargo before you are at the limit.  There should be a label on the tongue with the weights of the trailer.  Also, the tongue weight needs to be about 10% of the gross weight if it is a single axle trailer to prevent sway.  Adding a static weight of 150 Lbs on the back of a CRV might make for some interesting handling.

I haul a 5'x10' with a RWD Ford Explorer V8 and I ocassionally  challenge the package. I've already burned out one tranny.   The biggest concern is cooling.  Transmission fluid temps can increase drastically when towing.  If you do not have an external oil cooler you will really be pushing your luck, especially if you encounter any long uphill grades.  Good luck!

Actually it's a 5x8 trailer which weighs 850lbs, but yes I will be taking a lot of care in both loading and driving. Most of the heavier things will go in the car to keep it "planted" and I will be driving the minimum speeds . Luckily the temperatures are not so high in December when I plan to go.

Archived