Chapala.com Webboard

High Speed Fiber Optic Internet at Lakeside - New Option!

tkessler

On 11/27/2017 at 9:17 AM, ComputerGuy said:

Utilitis, I'm with you. You arrived here and correctly sensed that all successful Mexican companies achieved their status by accident. So while you volley for control of Ilux, perhaps you might help us by going over to SuperLake and showing them how to fix their business.

In my past life I did business with Cemex, Bimbo and several other very large and successful Mexican companies. Believe me - nothing at all accidental about their success or how they "achieved their status". Some of the smartest, best educated and effective professionals I ever worked with or had the pleasure of meeting. As one of many examples, one of my best friends from those days is now running a bank in Luxembourg that Cemex acquired as part of their purchase of a large multinational conglomerate. Great, well run companies.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Utilitis and Gents,

Sorry for my late reply I've been travelling.  But to address a few points:

- Its costs several hundred thousand dollars to build out a GPON fiber to the home network, over $600 dollars per subscriber.   Assuming a couple thousand subscribers at Lakeside eventually,  eventually a few million dollars.   Ilox told us:  "Show us 300 willing prepaid subscribers between Joco and Ajijic" and we'll make the investment (for  much more than the $150K that represents).   And we did.  We're at 316 pledges.  We're done.  This is now in Ilox hands.  They have begun working through the planning, the contracts and performance guarantees, etc.  They'll be contacting the pledges who will obviously have priority.  Beyond that, they'll  work towards normalizing  a regular monthly service. 

There is, rightfully,  a lot of concern about quality of service.  Ultimately its only as good as the company behind it.  But there are other factors too.  GPON fiber-to-the-home networks are far more reliable than copper phone lines and cable TV.   Unless you have a cable cut, they don't fail much.  Ilox, like all the other alternative carriers, has to use CFE poles or make other arrangements.  Sometimes the CFE poles aren't the best option.   I have fiber service at my house in Guad and a couple of time these big trucks barrelling down the street take out the fiber.   The carrier is at the mercy of CFE.  Telmex has a monopoly on their own poles and have been fighting the government who want's to open up the last mile to all the carriers.   So my point is, if you're worried about quality of service, your energy is better spent trying to ensure good ducting and infrastructure in your development.  At my place in Rancho del Oro, I'd like to propose some underground ducting, at least in the more vulnerable areas.

On speed and quality., fiber is inherently high speed, no relationship to DSL.  You're not going to have speed bottlenecks between your house and the Internet backbone.  Within the greater Internet, ISP's have to pay for peering and connections can be shared.  So if you're an Ex-pat from Madagascar trying to stream your long missed channels, you might have an issue...  But the biggest providers like Amazon, Google, Facebook, and Netflix extend their networks and peer directly with MX carriers, so you don't have to worry about quality of service with them.  Huge fiber links keep turning on all the time so I don't think it's an issue, but it is a reasonable negotiating point with Ilox.

Summary:  If you want high speed internet and are willing to prepay (and receive priority), please sign up.  You can still sign up if not willing and show your location and this will help the planning.  There is no legal obligation.   

All the people who have signed up will be receiving communications from Ilox shortly...

thanks,

Tom

Ilox will use the money from the prepaid signup to help fund the large capital expense of the build out.  Those who signup and prepay the first year will receive priority in service connection.  At some point they will  then offer regular monthly service thereafter and no one will have to prepay anything.

Alpha1,

Ilox is an established business grade carrier that already runs a fiber optic cable ring that loops around Lake Chapala on its way to Guadalajara.  They have wired up a few areas on the south end of the lake,  namely Zamora, with a state of the art GPON network thats working well.  Such networks are expensive but very reliable.  For them, its just a question of running an extension from Jocotepec towards Chapala. 

On the other hand, they also learned purchasing power in these communities isn't quite what they thought.  Bottom line, business services are more lucrative and after some of their residential investments, they were focusing more on that. 

Which would have been a tragedy for Lakeside, because the purchasing power here is a lot higher than in Zamora.  

So they told us, show us 300 people willing to prepay for a year, and we'll do the build out, which will cost a lot more than the roughly 3 million MXN that will raise.  And we did.  We're at 330 pledges today. 

Ilox is a federal carrier with many millions invested in their network.  They're financially strong, but prudent.  They're not going to risk their concession over scamming a couple of hundred residential contracts.  

Now that we have the signatures, they're working on the contracts,  lakeside presentations, and implementation plans..  You're welcome to sign to the pledge form.  If you do, you'll be prioritized for service and have the cost guaranteed for a year.  You can also wait until they normalize their monthly offering and sign up that way.  We have the signatures, they've seen the interest is there...Plans are to go ahead.  I'm done. 

BR,

Tom

My thanks also go out to Tom for his efforts to this point.

This is an extrordinary opportunity for all Internet users from Joco to perhaps Chapala. As is often the case, the best opportunities come with a certain amount of risk. The successful introduction of a new player along the lake will not only make life easier for early adoptors but would most likely affect Telmex and Telecable/Izzi who have been complacent for a long time, neither having a compelling reason to do better than the other. More competition is always better for the consumer. The monetary risk is minimal compared to the potential reward that we'd see with successful implementation.

• 1 month later...

As a future resident, I just now discovered/read this process of Digital Community Meeting. Most impressive. One piece of Info, of relevance to individuals/NGOs/Charities for Fundraising, as English Conversation Partners with Chinese/other learners of English, using Fiber Optic Internet connection. Google search "Online English Teacher". It is a "Sellers' Market". The going rates are from $15 to $30 USD +. If a group organized, they could have a stronger bargaining position.

I have no financial interest. I am not advertising. Just Google it.

But..if there is a Charity/NGO interested in this project, I would welcome the opportunity to chat with you.

10 hours ago, Yin-Yang @ Chapala said:

As a future resident, I just now discovered/read this process of Digital Community Meeting. Most impressive. One piece of Info, of relevance to individuals/NGOs/Charities for Fundraising, as English Conversation Partners with Chinese/other learners of English, using Fiber Optic Internet connection. Google search "Online English Teacher". It is a "Sellers' Market". The going rates are from $15 to $30 USD +. If a group organized, they could have a stronger bargaining position.

I have no financial interest. I am not advertising. Just Google it.

But..if there is a Charity/NGO interested in this project, I would welcome the opportunity to chat with you.

This is not an NGO. It is a telcom coming into a new area. There was one post from a someone who advocated some kind of consumer group to collectively deal with them. If you read the reaction to that, it went no where.

Again if you read the thread, one unbelievable persistent community member approached the telcom and got this whole thing in place. We have no fiber optic here yet, so I don't understand the point about online teaching. When Ilox puts in its fiber optic, if you're in an area they cover, you'll have the option of being their customer or Telmex. Or Izzy. Those are the main internet, phone options around here.

Rereading your post, I assumed this forum is not the "Digital Community Meeting" you are referring to?

As for Ilux, it seems that they might have changed their minds. The company has never been active in the move to get them to lay cable to Ajijic. And, as far, as I know, they have still made no contact with those who signed up, like I did. If it takes months to just get contracts out, how long will it take to actually get the service going? 

2 minutes ago, bedbug said:

As for Ilux, it seems that they might have changed their minds. The company has never been active in the move to get them to lay cable to Ajijic. And, as far, as I know, they have still made no contact with those who signed up, like I did. If it takes months to just get contracts out, how long will it take to actually get the service going? 

Check Tom's Dec 9th post.

Yes, but according to posts by Tom Kessler, they were working on them before Christmas. To one whose job used to involve writing, reviewing and approving contracts, this is a long time. Even contracts in this country do not normally take some much time to prepare, especially when there is money involved. All I am saying is that although Tom Kessler is excited about this project, I am not sure Ilux is.

9 minutes ago, bedbug said:

Yes, but according to posts by Tom Kessler, they were working on them before Christmas. To one whose job used to involve writing, reviewing and approving contracts, this is a long time. Even contracts in this country do not normally take some much time to prepare, especially when there is money involved. All I am saying is that although Tom Kessler is excited about this project, I am not sure Ilux is.

Completely understand. I have experience with a US telcom, so I was thinking getting something this century would be fantastic.  :P There are a lot of logistics and investment on their side that weren't even under consideration before Tom started.

26 minutes ago, bedbug said:

Pretty much all of MX government and legal sectors shut down from appx. 12/13 to 1/9 for Xmas thru 3 Kings Day.  I'm still hopeful iLox proceeds with this.  

Archived