Chapala.com Webboard

High Speed Fiber Optic Internet at Lakeside - New Option!

tkessler

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three cheers for Tom Kessler's efforts and expertise.  High speed internet service will bring many benefits to Lakeside.  Ilox monthly costs (considering internet+phone+TV)  seem roughly equivalent to what we pay for Telmex phone/internet plus Shaw.  Fiber optic will open a new world of streaming opportunities. And no obligation for the sign up to show level of interest - looks like an obvious no brainer.  Let's all pass the word.

On 15/11/2017 at 2:30 AM, tkessler said:

Thank you Titanium and NLU.  We are at 212 pledges.   Please continue to spread the word!  

Hats Off to you Tom for taking this on and pushing through the ignorance, cynicism, and skepticism. We've all been burned before but this has such tremendous upside potential that I for one am willing to put my money on the table when the time comes.

I want this service to actualize and am looking forward to it.

By the way Tom Kessler, since the ad went in the Reporter I expect we may be pushed over the (300) goal soon if not already. Keep us informed, please

Thanx

Update:  As of 11/26 7:11 PM we are at 299 pledges.  Many of these are developers who will be negotiating bulk packages of many services.   Its appearing that we have succeeded in showing Ilox that the interest is very real and the purchasing power there to support the buildout.  If you have not signed up please do so and keep spreading the word.  If folks beyond San Antonio towards Chapala, say, in places like Riberas want service there, we need more signups from those areas. 

If you did sign up, Ilox will contact you in a few weeks for the next steps.  Note the contracts are still being finalized for this case and proper consumer protections. 

BR,

Tom Kessler

5 hours ago, tkessler said:

Ilox has said 6 mo to 1 yr after prepaid funds have been raised. 

Two things. Adding my huge thanks again to you for tackling this project. Second, cannot express how excited I am about this. Literally a life changer for us who deal with the slowest speeds that Telmex offers.

Tom,

As others have said, major thanks for your ongoing efforts towards this important project.  This now extended discussion thread illustrates that there is always noise attached to the signal, but as such dialog evolves, facts can be developed and documented.  

Mention has been made here of public meetings and perhaps other fora for formal discussion of the proposed fiber service, and it struck me that a proper web site for authoritative news and documentation, including video of meetings and general critical conversation could be justified.  So I have just registered the Domain Name 'lakelux.org', just in case it might prove useful.  (Most folks will get the 'lux', and 'ux' stands for 'user experience'.)  This D-Name will gladly be donated to any principled organization that might form, though they will likely have a better idea of their own.  Any such web site would of course require some local management and maintenance, and some expense, but could serve for various purposes promoting service quality control, perhaps even billing, as follows:

On the outside chance that the practical and legal form for the funding for this fiber project, whatever it is, proves in any way problematic, perhaps some thought should be given in advance to the idea of forming a 'buyers club' which would, as a whole, contract with the provider, control escrow, negotiate and enforce service levels, etc.  Anything to induce the highest standards of transparency and efficiency, so lacking in the existing telecom services.  Modern networks can self--report an amazing amount of detail about their own performance in real time, for free.

21 minutes ago, utilitus said:

Tom,

On the outside chance that the practical and legal form for the funding for this fiber project, whatever it is, proves in any way problematic, perhaps some thought should be given in advance to the idea of forming a 'buyers club' which would, as a whole, contract with the provider, control escrow, negotiate and enforce service levels, etc.  Anything to induce the highest standards of transparency and efficiency, so lacking in the existing telecom services.  Modern networks can self--report an amazing amount of detail about their own performance in real time, for free.

Curious why we'd think that a local club of customers would make demands, or rules for perfomance with a utility that would supercede whatever contracts it has with the government or its normal performance commitments.

All we're really doing is the equivalent of paying to run a line where service doesn't exist. After that, we pay for our monthly sub, like all other customers.

Utilitis, I'm with you. You arrived here and correctly sensed that all successful Mexican companies achieved their status by accident. So while you volley for control of Ilux, perhaps you might help us by going over to SuperLake and showing them how to fix their business.

8 minutes ago, Sea said:

Curious why we'd think that a local club of customers would make demands, or rules for perfomance with a utility that would supercede whatever contracts it has with the government or its normal performance commitments.

All we're really doing is the equivalent of paying to run a line where service doesn't exist. After that, we pay for our monthly sub, like all other customers.

So what's wrong with the existing telecom providers, under whatever 'public utility commission' operates Lakeside? I noted in this discussion thread on 1 November, "Comments posted to the ilox FaceBook page are 'mixed': See https://es-la.facebook.com/pg/iloxmx/reviews/?ref=page_internal  One recurring remark: "Worse than MegaCable."  

I have no idea how utilities are legally regulated and such regulations enforced Lakeside (I'm in California), and the idea that proper 'service level agreements' could be negotiated is based on the claims that ilox makes about it's industrial clients, and the technical ease of implementing them.  Apparently mini-wholesalers of ilox Lakeside service are signing up, so there is quantifiable aggregation afoot.  

It may well be, some random user commentaries aside, that the legal basis and technical performance of ilox is excellent, and any user apprehension about a reasonable user investment unjustified, and the legal construction of an organized user base entirely redundant.  But what if uncertainties based on experience of local conditions deters enough users from finally committing funds?

53 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Utilitis, I'm with you. You arrived here and correctly sensed that all successful Mexican companies achieved their status by accident. So while you volley for control of Ilux, perhaps you might help us by going over to SuperLake and showing them how to fix their business.

Sounds like a job for SuperLake Man!

After all the postings on this subject the best answer has finally been found. Find Pancho and hire him. He can fix anything! High speed internet? A breeze compared to SuperLake.

Here's what we all need and I'm not holding my breath!

From Cord Cutters News, Nov. 30, 2017:

Verizon Announced the First Market to Get 5G Home Internet

by Luke Bouma on November 30, 2017 in News

Streaming-Couple-e1472507396745-1024x5895G home Internet brings the promise of fiber Internet speeds without the cost of running fiber to each house. With 5G you will be able to get 5G Internet wirelessly to your home. A dream many cord cutters have had for years.

Yesterday Verizon announced the first market to get 5G home Internet: Sacramento, California will receive 5G home Internet in the second half of 2018.

Verizon said four other markets will also get 5G home Internet in 2018 but did not disclose which markets. Verizon did say that by the end of 2018 30 million US households will have access to 5G home Internet.

“This is a landmark announcement for customers and investors who have been waiting for the 5G future to become a reality,” said Hans Vestberg, Verizon president of Global Networks and chief technology officer. “We appreciate our strong ecosystem partners for their passion and technological support in helping us drive forward with 5G industry standards, for both fixed and mobile applications. The targeted initial launches we are announcing today will provide a strong framework for accelerating 5G’s future deployment on the global standards.”

Many have worried that 5G home Internet will suffer from the same data caps that 4G Internet has. Now Verizon says that 5G home Internet will not have the same data caps that 4G has.

Dish, AT&T, Charter, T-Mobile, Sprint, and others have all announced plans to roll out 5G home Internet. Dish and others have said that by the end of 2020 they will have half of the United States covered with 5G home Internet."

I wonder what one will have to pay for this 5G service. Will he have to pay based on useage?  Will their be different packages? It sounds very interesting.

If it reaches here, it will be by a different provider and not any time soon.

6 minutes ago, johanson said:

I wonder what one will have to pay for this 5G service. Will he have to pay based on useage?  Will their be different packages? It sounds very interesting.

If it reaches here, it will be by a different provider and not any time soon.

Sounds like if you buy it, you buy it with no different plans.

"Many have worried that 5G home Internet will suffer from the same data caps that 4G Internet has. Now Verizon says that 5G home Internet will not have the same data caps that 4G has."

Archived