Chapala.com Webboard

High Speed Fiber Optic Internet at Lakeside - New Option!

tkessler

Hello everyone, its official ! Ilox Communications, a federally licensed telecom carrier, who already runs a high speed fiber optic ring crossing the Chapala highway at Jocotepec, will extend their high speed GPON fiber-to-the-home network to Chapala if we can get enough pledges.   They need about 300 prepaid 1yr contracts costing $9948 MXN for the year to extend to Ajijic. Service includes 50 Mb Internet (75 mb 1st year), a Chapala phone number with optional 2nd number anywhere in NA, and many TV channels.   After the contract expires  there is no obligation to continue service. 

Read all about it at the FAQ here: https://goo.gl/CsE574 and the Sign-up form here:https://goo.gl/2kHdeE . There is no legal obligation to pledge.

If you are a real estate agent or developer and need service for your properties please be sure to sign up and so indicate. 

Note I have no business or economic ties to Ilox and am not receiving compensation  for this effort, except for the hope that property values will keep going up, since  I am a homeowner.  I would like to have higher speed service at my property. 

Tom Kessler

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! Now that is an interesting proposition. Pay up front and have faith. Hope it works out for everyone and if so it will raise everyone's property values. Money back guarantee if not built?  Cash in an escrow account?

Read the FAQ. The company is a registered federal carrier that has been in business for 22 years and currently provides high quality service in Zamora and other Bajio cities.    However your point is  why we are asking for pledges first.  If enough people are interested,  it'll go to contracts, and provide guarantee of returned monies if the project does not consummate.  The current contracts the company has registered, where they already offer service, in English and Spanish versions, are posted in the FAQ and are registered with Profeco.       The capital investment required to extend to Lakeside is significant, but because they already have the fiber ring crossing at Joco, is not too onerous.  They need about 15 guaranteed 1 yr contracts per Km beyond Joco towards Chapala to trigger their internal justification.  

Critical review of the current contracts and suggestions are welcome.  

I would like to know, if possible, how the service is going to get from the street to the individual homes, and how much these drops will cost on top of the initial fee. And of course what the yearly cost will be, and if maintenance is included.

Its in the FAQ.  Ilox has a national agreement with CFE to use their poles, the contract is there in a link in the FAQ.   Every year there is a census taken and the compensation paid.  The $9948 MXN prepaid 1st year contract covers all installation.   There are no additional charges.  But do understand, this is why they are trying to gauge interest first.  If there's enough interest, they'll execute the contracts, raise the triigger money, and make the rest of the capital investment themselves. 

Some developments may have underground services and rights to use those will need to be cleared. 

I read the entire FAQ twice. It does not specify that it covers all installation; it does not cover installation to the home beyond the CFE poles; it does not cover yearly fees; it does not mention service after the fact.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be negative; rather, I'm trying to flesh out all the angles. The so-called census is a deal they work with CFE, nothing else specific.

I read the FAQ as ComputerGuy did. I did not see any detailed information. The link provided in the FAQ to the CFE document is in Spanish. Is there an English version available?

Tkessler, are you involved in the business side of this?

The FAQ gives the links to the Spanish and English contracts which specify all that.  The FAQ also provides the link to the federally tariffed service  here:  https://www.ilox.mx/iloxhogar/index.php/paquetes/14-servicios/68-triples2 .   Contracting service here would be no different from signing with say Telmex or Telecable.  Installation and maintenance charges are assumed included.  Maybe applicable to an extraordinary case and would be before contract signature.   I'll check and advise.

My ears have perked up.  But the best recommendation is from a current customer.  

Anyone on this Board know anyone using this service?  Here's list from their website of areas with their coverage.  Some of the city names are shaded in, but not sure what that means.

LISTA DE POBLACIONES CON COBERTURA

Guadalajara Jal.

Zapopan Jal.

Tlajomulco Jal.

La Barca Jal.

Sahuayo Mich.

Zamora Mich.

Valle de Juárez, Jalisco

Jiquilpan, Michoacan

Santiago Tangamandapio Mich.

Villamar, Michoacàn

Mazamitla, Jalisco

Quitupan, Jalisco

Tizapán, Jalisco

San Diego, Jalisco

San José de Gracia, Mich.

San Pedro, Michoacán

Cojumatlán, Michoacán

La Palma, Michoacán

Cumuatillo, Michoacán

Pajacuarán, Michoacán

Concepción de B. A. Jal.

La Manzanilla, Jalisco

Tequisquiapan, Querétaro

Colon Qro.

Ezequiel Montes, Qro

Bernal Qro.

I did find and read the English Contracts document. I found these 2 statements that might need to be more specific:

b. Install, maintain and operate the network to the terminal connecting point at the inner edge of the building where is located the address "SUBSCRIBER".
c. Install the equipment in the home of "SUBSCRIBER" and it noted on the cover of this Agreement.

Here in Maryland, Comcast Cable does run the cable from the pole to the building. Running the cables inside the house/building can cost extra. And installing the "equipment" means them coming inside and hooking up the modem/router.

I am very interested to see more details. I hope I am not coming off as negative.

All,

Please note have no business or economic ties to Ilox and am not receiving compensation  for this effort, except for the hope that property values will keep going up, since  I am a homeowner.  I would like to have higher speed service at my property. 

My contribution to this has been in getting the sign up and FAQ forms done hopefully so we can get a critical mass of interested parties.   After that Ilox will take over.  You are welcome to contact Ilox at the contact info in the FAQ.  

Also please note the current contracts are drafted for the case where Ilox is currently providing service.  They are reviewing for the case where service is not yet provided but will be, and all your comments and concerns there are welcome.  We decided to release what we have because we didn't want to wait any longer. 

As for the coverage cities, Ilox has operated in Michoacan for years as Tele Rey and most of their infrastructure there is Cable TV.   In Zamora, they've installed all GPON fiber which is very reliable and high quality service. Their other focus is enterprise customers.  You are welcome to check them out. 

BR,

Tom Kessler

Here is a link to a mixed descriptive and technical treatment of GPON which illustrates performance characteristics and how this topology is light on signal control electronics and thus relatively cheap;  it's been around a while (I looked into it very casually maybe 15 years ago).  See: https://huaweiswitch.wordpress.com/2015/05/   

As Bisbee Gal suggests, It would be worthwhile to find current ilox users in analogous deployments and gather their impressions.  Comments posted to the ilox FaceBook page are 'mixed': See https://es-la.facebook.com/pg/iloxmx/reviews/?ref=page_internal  One recurring remark: "Worse than MegaCable."

Still, after due diligence, I would be interested in subscribing in San Juan Cosala, but all I have is a bare lot.  Do the building code and utilities allow water, power and telecom to be installed before the structure is finished?  How about fiber-to-the-RV?

Thank  you Computer Guy...Peter, the standard package is 75 mb down,  18.75 up the 1st year.   There's also 250 down,  63.5 Mb up.   Theres also full commercial service up to 1 Gb symmetrical.  There is no obligation or investment to pledge...If they don't know your interest, we can't get to the next step.   

Ilox capital investment justification is based on 300 prepaid signups of the triple play package for the first year, and that is the only offering available for now.   After that their service offerings will normalize; include the less expensive offerings, and  one can cancel or downgrade.    If you own property in the area,  consider the benefits of being an early adopter and watching your home value increase, even if you're getting more than you need or want the first year. 

Archived