Chapala.com Webboard

OCT. 31 IN AJIJIC - VIRGIN DEL ROSARIO FIESTA

ezpz

Maybe you've been hearing a lot of fiesta fireworks today - that is all part of the Oct. 31 Fiesta de la Virgin del Rosario (Virgin of the Rosary) which takes place all month and culminates today with a wonderful procession and fiesta later at the San Andres Church and the Plaza.  This event has absolutely nothing to do with a certain foreign holiday - it is a tradition that dates much farther back than the arrival of foreigners and their customs.  Here is a video of last years procession which starts around 5:00, winds through town and ends up at the church around sundown.  This is the Real Mexico, folks, right here under your nose.  You don't have to travel far and wide to experience that.

This video shows the exuberant arrival of the procession to the Church with snippets of the fiesta later.  Don't miss it! 

And here are the Mariachis playing in the Capillita (chapel) in the plaza.  This is my favorite event of the year.  The Danzantes are not merely "performing" - these are ancient rituals and customs which have been miraculously handed down through the many generations of families for hundreds of years in spite of the Spanish conquest.  Mexican culture today is a mix of the pre-hispanic and the Spanish/modern cultures.

5 minutes ago, ezpz said:

This board program seems to be very glitchy.  I have posted fiesta videos many times in the past with no problems, now, everything seems to be a problem.  Don't know why all these other identical posts are there!

Why don’t you delete the duplicate posts.  Very easy .. click on options  below the posts , click on delete.     

1 hour ago, ezpz said:

This board program seems to be very glitchy.  I have posted fiesta videos many times in the past with no problems, now, everything seems to be a problem.  Don't know why all these other identical posts are there!

Because you kept hitting the post button.  When you are starting a thread with as much content as this one, it is going to load SLOW and you need to wait maybe up to a minute or more for it to load.  Six postings of the same thread is a record here but please do not repeat.  :)

Had a great time at the fiesta last night.  Saw Danzantes from San Cristobal, a wonderful night, will be posting as I get the videos done and loaded to utube.  BTW, I still don't understand the loading problem.  I was adding new content but I was not hitting Submit until the end - ???  I've been doing this for years with no previous problems...  :)  Gracias!

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 12:43 PM, El Saltos said:

The Spanish were foreigners when they arrived.  And, they brought the Vigin del Rosario.  Thanks for posting the videos!

A little clarification of the history:  Actually, the Feast of the Holy Rosary was not brought to Nueva Espana from Spain until at least 1573, when Pope Gregory XIII changed the title of the "Feast of Our Lady of Victory" to "Feast of the Holy Rosary".  More likely it didn`t arrive until 1671 when Pope Clement XI  commanded the feast of the Rosary to be celebrated by the universal Church.  So, the Feast has nothing to do with the indigenous people of Mexico.  It is wholly Catholic.  The "Aztec" dancers are a modern addition.  Not to take anything away from this local celebration and the colorful costumes and dancing and, particularly, the mariachis!  Disfrutar!

3 hours ago, ezpz said:

Had a great time at the fiesta last night.  Saw Danzantes from San Cristobal, a wonderful night, will be posting as I get the videos done and loaded to utube.  BTW, I still don't understand the loading problem.  I was adding new content but I was not hitting Submit until the end - ???  I've been doing this for years with no previous problems...  :)  Gracias!

You aren't waiting long enough after hitting the submit button.  With something as big as this it may take a minute or more.

Great thread though, thanks for persisting and putting it up.

4 hours ago, Ajijic_hiker said:

As always, many thanks to EZPZ for posting the goings on in this village.  I've learned so much from her postings and background information.  A lot of folks don't get around to experiencing some of these events in person, and your postings make it all come to life.  So bravo! :)

Gracias, it's always nice to have a little appreciation.  The first five years I lived here I became an avid photographer and posted thousands of fotos and videos to webshots.com which is now defunct, with 5 years of my work ruined.  In those days, before cel phones, there were very few people posting fotos or videos from the real Mexican events here because very few gringos attended these very fun events and very few Mexicans had the computer skills to post online.  So, my fotos used to get thousands of views a week!  I had a feeling of having a big audience out there, but that has all changed with "smart" phones and social media.  Still, I enjoy these events as well as the work afterwards putting it all together and posting online.

Archived