Chapala.com Webboard

Anyone else lost landline phone service?

Lexy

Stopped by TelMex this morning, thinking we had an individual problem. They said they had 2 sizable areas out of service, one in Riberas and one out is west Ajijic where we are. 

My phone is back. Hope you all have service. Now if I could only get my new generic cartridge to work in my Samsung laser printer. And learn  how to  use my Smartphone.  And master my Netflix Mexico.  .  .  .

Personally I find a landline more efficient and certainly cheaper than any cell phone plan. Although I must say, the pricing for cell phones has dropped substantially in the last few years, and so of course I have both. But my office number is a landline, and so I believe are most businesses... because who needs calls on their cell phone at all hours of the day and night?

I actually figured you were serious, because half the people I call now use cell phone numbers. In fact, a lot of them use U.S.-based cell numbers. If the Feds hadn't come down on Carlos Slim, and were we still paying for long distance and calling cell phone from landlines, my monthly bill would be dangerously high.

I rarely use 800 numbers, and when I do, Skype handles them for me, so I just leave a balance on Skype, no subscription. And the odd time I can't call an 800 number, I can usually find a direct number, which I can call for free anyway from my landline. But we do what we get used to.

yesterday we had no tel services, but it came back at midnight, today everything is ok apparently...strange thing, we had internet in a normal way...well this is Mexico.

6 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Personally I find a landline more efficient and certainly cheaper than any cell phone plan. Although I must say, the pricing for cell phones has dropped substantially in the last few years, and so of course I have both. But my office number is a landline, and so I believe are most businesses... because who needs calls on their cell phone at all hours of the day and night?

I simply turn my call and message ringers off before I go to sleep, so no one can disturb me. Started doing this years ago after one of my clients texted me 4 times (kept resending when I didn't respond) starting at 6:30 AM on a Saturday morning about a totally non-urgent thing.

Yeah, but I get phone calls on sundays at 9 pm, Saturdays at 7 am, Wednesdays and weekdays any time. Every day, every week. Christmas.

I do have the automatic DO NOT DISTURB set for midnight to 8 am, with specific family numbers allowed through. Another unfortunate side effect of a cell phone is that I get called when I am driving, when I am at a customer house, when I am at various appts, etc. I do not like being accessible 24-7.

Archived