Chapala.com Webboard
Sign in to follow this  
Ajijic_hiker

cartel crime not good for Mexico tourism

36 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Looks like they are basically quoting this:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-25/the-american-tourist-has-been-scared-away-from-mexico

Any substantive comments regarding the content here?

Yes I do.  We left MX to care for my ageing mom, not for crime.  We were mugged, burglarized and vandalized while there but didn't leave for those  events.  But now that we are gone I would only return if my spouse insisted and just for short visits with friends.  I would never invest in property there again.  Just my opinion.  Not trying to say it would bethe right thing for all, just my family.  I know there are many who would never want to return NOB and I respect and understand that.  The weather is great.  Can't say I miss the scorpions much.

• Like 3

Well I'd like to see this evaluated in the context of the earlier reports of very strong rises in tourism numbers.  I don't doubt there may be local drops related to the cartel crime in formerly quiet places but what is the overall picture?

Thus far, things have been pretty quiet around here.  Overall though security doesn't seem to be improving in Mexico.  I think this strategy of taking out a few big fish has actually made things worse by fragmenting and breaking down the discipline of cartel organizations.  

Interesting discussion here and plenty more to be found:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-the-military-will-never-beat-mexicos-cartels

Organized crime in Mexico, she says, is simply “too lucrative.” When a designated “kingpin” is arrested or killed by authorities, the flow of money from the drug trade ensures a former underling or rival will rise up to take his place.

“Massive military deployment and attacks on cartels cannot defeat or eliminate them and invariably lead to greater levels of violence,” Carlsen says, because newly empowered factions do battle for the old crime lord’s turf.

According to Carlsen, the flaw lies not just in tactical execution, but in the authorities’ very will to fight—despite Washington footing much of the bill.

“In Mexico the problem is in the practice as well as the strategy itself. The military can’t defeat the drug cartels,” says Carlsen, “because it doesn’t want to.

“Police and military are often complicit with drug traffickers,” she adds, in a follow-up email. “Huge quantities of drugs flow out of (and presumably cash flows into) areas where the military controls access.” The problem of corruption is not limited to individuals, she notes, it’s “a systemic re-purposing of state agencies” by the cartels.

• Like 3