Chapala.com Webboard

Halloween

RCman

What has been your experience here in Ajijic regarding the celebration of Halloween. We live in a Mexican area and asked two gentlemen today that live on the street and they both said kids will be trick or treating on Wednesday night. That seemed odd so I called two mexican friends who both said Tuesday night Oct. 31st.

What has been your experience and should I prepare for both nights?

PS: I am aware of Nov 1st being Day of the Dead honoring the children so I thought that might be the case when told it was Wednesday night.

When we lived in Ajijic it was always Oct. 31 and the kids sang in unison "Quiermos Halloween". I always had some candy handy and my camera. My wife doled out the goodies and I got some fun pics. Enjoy doing it if you choose but if not I doubt you will get pranked.

52 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

When we lived in Ajijic it was always Oct. 31 and the kids sang in unison "Quiermos Halloween". I always had some candy handy and my camera. My wife doled out the goodies and I got some fun pics. Enjoy doing it if you choose but if not I doubt you will get pranked.

"Queremos Jalogüin"  

Yeah, I´m sure your neighbors was just getting confused with the Día de los muertos.  Halloween will be celebrated on Halloween night which is Tuesday.  There should be plenty of Mexican kids out yelling queremos Halloween!  Each year it seems that more and more kids are picking up the practice of trick or treating.

2 minutes ago, El Saltos said:

Kids to our barrio say, : "We want Halloween!"

Yeah, they started doing that at our place also the last couple of years. No sense in confusing the Old Gringos, LOL.  :lol:

Mexicans don't really "celebrate" Halloween as we know it from the north.  It's just that the cutesy little costumes and decorations (probably made in China) are sold here and lots of moms love to dote on their little kids with that stuff.  A good number of Mexicans actually dislike Halloween for a number of reasons, the least of which is that their time-honored and very rich custom is Dia de los Muertos already exists.  Some think Halloween is devil worship - the ugly scary monster thing is not a part of DDLM which is all about honoring one's dear departed loved ones and ancestors.

The "trick or treating" here is more like a game of Hustle the Gringo.  The kids here certainly don't need any more sugary candy, they already have sugar skulls and sweetbreads for DDLM.  Let's just hope the kids here never figure out the "trick" part of that.  Don't feel obliged to give candy to kids here.

In Mazatlan we always had at least 50 kids...then they would head off to the Plazuela where a lot of restaurants were located to collect from the foreigners dining there...lots of fun for all.  But when we moved to Ajijic 2 yrs ago, we had no one!

Now that we are in Chapala, we don't know what to expect....any tips?

Not to change the subject - for some reason I am unable to start a new thread here, don't know why... - but the real celebration in Ajijic on October 31 every year is the Virgin del Rosario fiesta which has absolutely nothing to do with a certain foreign holiday.  It happens at the end of October, culminating a month long devotion to Ajijic's own Virgin of the Rosary.  All the Virgin fiestas have processions with danzantes and drummers, who continue to play and dance at the plaza later in the evening in addition to mariachis in the little chapel and a banda for dancing afterwards, capped off by a castillo.   This is the real Mexican culture, so colorful and vibrant and right here under your noses!  Don't miss it!

This video contains footage of the procession entering the San Andres Church for the ritual outdoor Mass, followed by the rest of the fiesta in the plaza:

Here is the procession as it winds through the streets of Ajijic (this one would not embed, so click on the link):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkriLiVnJhU

I always get a ton of kids up on the hill in Villa Nova.  I think they are great.

There's always a few 2 year olds with big masks that they can't see out of that are just precious.

I try to get some small candies for the kids and some better stuff for the Mamas that have to haul them around.

I wouldn't miss it for the world...........

Vans of kids will descend upon the gringo enclaves. There will be none in normal neighborhoods. So, it will depend upon where you live.  We never had any trick or treaters in 13 years.  However, November 2nd was always a very popular night on Calle Cinco de Mayo in Chapala. It should not be missed.

In Chapala tonight, there were hundreds of kids all dressed up and trick or treating up and down Madero Ave.  I took my 5 year old niece out.  Most of the businesses on Madero were dishing out candy.  She got so much candy in her little orange plastic pumpkin, that she could barely lift it.  It should be enough to last until next year.  

I’m on Guadalupe Victoria Privado 2 and had no idea what to expect. I had probably 60 kids and went through 6 big bags of candy. Final group was about 15 kids all at once and seemed to be more older kids than earlier kids. I had a difficult time making sure the younger kids got some candy as bigger kids were reaching over their heads to get to me. I also strongly believe these older kids were not from the surrounding neighbourhood and were less polite. Anyway, loved hearing “ Quieromos Halloween” and a lesson for next year to get 8/10 bags instead of six.

26 minutes ago, RCman said:

I’m on Guadalupe Victoria Privado 2 and had no idea what to expect. I had probably 60 kids and went through 6 big bags of candy. Final group was about 15 kids all at once and seemed to be more older kids than earlier kids. I had a difficult time making sure the younger kids got some candy as bigger kids were reaching over their heads to get to me. I also strongly believe these older kids were not from the surrounding neighbourhood and were less polite. Anyway, loved hearing “ Quieromos Halloween” and a lesson for next year to get 8/10 bags instead of six.

Same experience in Villa Nova.

Archived